Director - Communications & Marketing
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
JOB SUMMARY: Sycamores is a leading behavioral health and child welfare agency, creating life-changing programs and services which impact some of the most vulnerable children, young adults, adults, and families in our community.
Reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer, the Director of Communications & Marketing is responsible for implementing and carrying out a strategic communication and marketing plan to increase awareness, understanding and support of Sycamores vision, mission, and accomplishments among its many constituencies. The Director of Communications and Marketing will spearhead the delivery of timely and relevant information via the website, social media channels, email, and print mediums to a variety of constituents. The Director will employ community outreach and visibility strategies to cultivate increased recognition and support among public and opinion leaders for Sycamores’ role as a leading mental health nonprofit in Southern California.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (These are the essential job functions for this position. The essential functions of this job include but may not be limited to those listed in this job description. Employees hired for this position must be able to perform the essential function of this job without imposing significant risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of themselves or others.)
The Director will work closely with a senior peer group within the organization as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives.
- Create and implement Sycamores’ annual communications and marketing plan in order to increase the organization’s constituent base, brand recognition and support.
- Supervise the Assistant Director of Public Relations and oversee relationships with hired communications vendors/consultants (graphic designers, photographers, printers, videographers, etc.).
- Develop a process to evaluate and measure the effectiveness of communications projects to support continuous improvement and creativity.
- Oversee and approve use of Sycamores logo and brand to ensure proper use of brand identity.
- Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action.
- Manage development, design, production, and distribution of all communication pieces across various mediums, including print, electronic, video, web, and advertising.
- Create and implement advertising plan to help increase organization’s image and name recognition throughout Southern California.
- Use analytics to track and measure the level of engagement within social networks.
- Manage all media and public relations interactions, contacts, and submissions, building and maintaining relationships with local news outlets.
- Manage and advise on any crisis communication needs.
- Manage and participate in writing/editing of annual impact report, scripts for videos, social media messaging, newsletters, press releases and more.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
NOTE: The job duties listed are typical examples of the work performed by positions in this job classification. Not all duties assigned to every position are included, nor is it expected that all positions will be assigned every duty.
Sycamores is seeking an accomplished Director of Communications & Marketing who has at least 8 years of communications experience, ideally in an “in-house” leadership role within a complex (number and variety of constituents) nonprofit entity, and covering areas such as website content, newsletters, and donor communications. The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism, PR, or related field.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies and plans.
- Experience working with external vendors and/or ad agencies.
- Media relations portfolio of contacts.
- Strong understanding of Adobe creative platforms, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Excellent storytelling, writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
- Experience managing crisis communications.
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently.
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence".
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters.
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
- Commitment to and passion for Sycamores’ mission and the ability to communicate that to various constituents.
In exchange for your skill and experience, Sycamores offers an excellent benefits package, which includes:
· Competitive salary
· Supportive work environment
· Medical insurance
· Dental insurance 100% employer paid for HMO employee only coverage plan
· Life and AD&D insurance 100% employer paid up to two times the annual salary
· Long-term disability 100% employer paid
· Flexible Spending Account
· 10 paid holidays per year
· Generous time off policy
· Life Assistance Program
All candidates who are presented with a conditional offer of employment must satisfy a pre-employment background check, drug, and health screen.
Sycamores is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state, or local protected class.
Further, Sycamores is a Fair Chance employer and complies with California Government Code Section 12952, Employment Discrimination: Conviction History.
Due to the direct contact, we have with vulnerable populations, services we perform in the community, relevant CDPH orders, and CDC guidance, Sycamores mandates COVID-19 vaccinations. Accordingly, employees are required to (i) have a COVID- 19 vaccine and their booster shot if booster eligible which is authorized for emergency use by the US Food and Drug Administration or the World Health Organization by the first day of work OR (ii) obtain a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief. To request an accommodation, please notify Deon Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org. All offers of employment are conditioned on satisfying one of above. No inquiries of vaccination status will be made until after a conditional offer of employment has been extended. Sycamores prohibits discrimination on the basis of a protected characteristic, including disability, perceived disability, or religion. Sycamores will not retaliate against any employee or candidate for requesting a reasonable accommodation pursuant to this policy.
Formerly known as Hathaway-Sycamores Child and Family Services, Sycamores, was created through the merger of two leading California child-welfare organizations in November 2005 – Hathaway Children and Family Services and The Sycamores. The agency is now one of the leading and largest children’s mental health and welfare organizations in Los Angeles County. The Sycamores, originally known as the Pasadena Children’s Training Society, became Pasadena’s first orphanage when it opened its doors in 1902. Hathaway Children and Family Services’ roots reach back to 1919 when it was founded in Los Angeles as the Kiddie Koop orphanage.
SycamoresWhy Work Here?
We hire the BEST! Meaning.....if you have a heart to serve our clients and want to be challenged and grow from the experience, we want YOU!
Sycamores is a highly respected mental health and welfare agency with 10 locations throughout Southern California. For over 119 years, Sycamores has been investing in people. We provide innovative and effective programs and services through a network of locations stretching across Los Angeles and the San Fernando, San Gabriel, and Antelope Valleys for children, youth, young adults, and families facing serious life challenges. Our highly effective behavioral health services impact more than 16,000 lives annually. Services include: residential treatment; transitional shelter care; foster care and adoption; transitional living assistance for young adults currently or at risk of experiencing homelessness; outpatient and school-based mental health services; wraparound/in-home services; psychiatric services; psychological testing; educational support services; and after-school tutoring/enrichment. Sycamores is licensed by the Community Care Licensing Division of the California Department of Social Services, certified by the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health, LAHSA funded and accredited through The Joint Commission. Formerly known as Hathaway-Sycamores Child and Family Services, Sycamores, was created through the merger of two leading California child-welfare organizations in November 2005 – Hathaway Children and Family Services and The Sycamores. The agency is now one of the leading and largest children’s mental health and welfare organizations in Los Angeles County. The Sycamores, originally known as the Pasadena Children’s Training Society, became Pasadena’s first orphanage when it opened its doors in 1902. Hathaway Children and Family Services’ roots reach back to 1919 when it was founded in Los Angeles as the Kiddie Koop orphanage.