Sweet Flower’s Controller will undertake all aspects of financial management, including corporate accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, budget and forecast preparation, as well as development of internal control policies and procedures. The Controller's responsibilities will also include financial risk management, financial analysis, providing leadership with strategic guidance around capital financing options to support company growth needs.
- Directing all aspects of accounting operations, overseeing all transactions related to general ledger, receivables, payables, payroll and financial reporting.
- Analyzing company's financial results with respect to profits, trends, costs and compliance with budgets. Issue regular status and ad-hoc reports to senior management.
- Providing strategic guidance around capital financing options to support company growth needs.
- Developing and assisting CEO in coordinating relationships with lending/financial institutions.
- Developing and maintaining all necessary accounting policies and systems, including general ledger and financial reporting. Ensuring that records are maintained in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. Oversee contract bookkeeper.
- Assisting CEO in financial planning, business modeling and results management. Work with other team members to understand revenue and cost drivers and define appropriate reports for tracking.
- Coordinating, preparing and reviewing monthly, quarterly, and annual reports.
- Coordinating and/or preparing tax schedules, returns and information.
- Managing relationships with insurance providers and ensuring compliance.
- Managing all tax planning and compliance with all required federal, state, local, payroll, property and other applicable taxes.
- Managing cash flow.
- Building an accounting department as the company grows
- Interacting with venture capital partners and board of directors.
- Other finance and administrative duties as required
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years of managerial accounting and financial management experience.
- Experience working in a growing start up environment strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business. CPA and/or CMA preferred but not required.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Experience in a service (not manufacturing) business with activity based project costing
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with fluctuating priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to work without direct supervision, and efficiently manage tasks and time.
- Financial Management
- Technical Capacity
- Performance Management
- Ethical Conduct
- Communication Proficiency
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
- This position requires up to 20% travel, primarily to retail stores.
- This position may also be required to work from DTLA Arts District, in addition to Culver City.
At this time, this position has no supervisory responsibilities but as the business grows, this position will be responsible for managing the accounting department.
EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time position. Some flexibility in hours is allowed, days and hours of work vary by schedule. Evening and weekend work may be required as schedule demands.
Sweet Flower provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.