Type: Full Time Employee
# of Openings: 1
Surgical Care Affiliates is currently seeking a Certified Surgical Technician!
As part of our team the Certified Surgical Technician will prepare the operating room, including the sterile field, setting up surgical equipment, supplies and solutions. During surgery, the certified surgical technician will pass instruments, fluids and supplies to the surgeon and prepare and manage surgical equipment.
SCA, a leader in the outpatient surgery industry, strategically partners with health plans, medical groups and health systems across the country to develop and optimize surgical facilities. SCA operates more than 210 surgical facilities, including ambulatory surgery centers and surgical hospitals, in partnership with approximately 7,500 physicians. For more information on SCA, visit www.scasurgery.com.
Accountabilities / Responsibilities
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to correlate clinical data with patient's care under the direction of the Clinical Leader/Registered Nurse.
- Ability to set priorities.
- Ability to provide direction to others that is clear, concise and promotes efficiency throughout the clinical areas of the facility.
- Ability to communicate well with patients, Teammates, physicians, other members of the healthcare team, etc.
- Recognizes legal and policy limits of individual practice
- Delivers safe patient care as directed by the Registered Nurse and according to facility policy and procedure.
- Ensures provision of patient care daily in an organized and timely manner.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures when providing patient care.
- Demonstrates knowledge of specific responsibilities in all emergency situations.
- Demonstrates ability to respond to patient care needs in an emergency situation and under direction of Clinical Leader/Registered Nurse.
- Initiates and implements basic cardiopulmonary resuscitation (BCLS) under the direction of the Clinical Leader/Registered Nurse.
- Demonstrates ability to meet patient's learning needs as identified in the plan of care under the direction of the Clinical Leader/Registered Nurse.
- Orients the patient to the patient care environment and facility routines as directed by Clinical Leader/Registered Nurse.
- Assists the Clinical Leader/Registered Nurse to implement the teaching plan for the patient as directed
- Assists the Clinical Leader/Registered Nurse to provide appropriate interventions related to patient and environmental safety issues
- Demonstrates appropriate knowledge and competence of designated skills identified for position.
- Completes competencies and competencies checklists for education and training specific to job position, duties, role and responsibilities and according to facility policy and schedule.
- Functions as a certified Surgical Technologist in the operating room/ procedure room under the direction of the Registered Nurse.
- Assists with gowning and gloving other members of the surgical team.
- Assists with the preparation of the operating room for surgical procedures.
- Assists with draping of patients.
- Assists with care, preparation, maintenance and after-care of sterile and un-sterile supplies and equipment.
- Knows and practices the principles and procedures of sterile technique.
- Utilizes time effectively.
- Follows established facility policies and procedures with regard to attendance.
- Maintains attendance according to guidelines and policy established by facility.
- Adheres to tardiness policy.
- Provides notification for unscheduled absences or tardiness in accordance with established departmental procedures as noted by supervisor.
- Requests scheduled time off according to procedure as noted by supervisor.
- Completes all documentation to ensure the availability of accurate and up to date information in accordance with established standards.
- Adheres to established facility safety requirements and procedures to ensure a safe working environment.
- Demonstrates competent usage of proper body mechanics in all activities.
Assists with housekeeping tasks as necessary to provide a safe environment for patients, teammates, physicians, guests.
- Maintains and evaluates own clinical expertise and clinical practice.
- Attends 75% of unit based staff meetings and demonstrates review of minutes for any meetings missed.
- Provides in-services as requested by management
- Participates in scheduled performance appraisals and demonstrates dedication to ongoing performance improvement.
- Responsibly demonstrates the importance of continuing education to the performance of facility responsibilities and growth in profession.
- Maintains and displays appropriate knowledge of professional developments through printed material or other sources.
- Attends professional training seminars when appropriate for job development and shares information with other Teammates.
- Attends and participates in all applicable facility training and development workshops scheduled by the facility
- Maintains work area and equipment in an organized and clean manner
- Upholds and practices the principles and policies of the SCA Compliance program.
- Demonstrates competency in performing job task, role, and responsibilities at least on an annual basis.
- Demonstrates the safe operation of equipment and machinery and follows procedures for reporting and correcting an unsafe situation.
- Communicates patient information to assure confidentiality and continuity of care. Protects all patient information according to established standards of care, policies and procedures
- Discusses patient information with other health team members in an appropriate environment
- Interacts with all patients, visitors and fellow employees in a mature, responsible manner to ensure a positive and professional environment
- Displays a caring and responsive attitude and conducts all activities respecting patient, family and employee rights and expectations
- Maintains confidentiality of all facility and patient information as required by facility policy
- Fosters a positive and professional surgery center environment by interacting with all persons in a considerate, helpful and courteous manner and by participating as a team member
- Diffuses/resolves conflict by appropriately communicating with those involved
- Accepts developmental and motivational feedback and gives suggestions in a professional manner
- Considers age specific needs in caring for and communicating with patients and family/guests
- Completes appropriate financial management responsibilities.
- Provides input re: equipment needs/supply needs.
- Completes patient charges in accordance with facility procedure.
- Demonstrates sound cost containment techniques.
- Participates in periodic inventory count as assigned by management.
- Proficiency or Productivity Standards
Proficiency or Productivity Standards:
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Indoors in climate controlled environment. Patient care environment with potential exposure to unpleasant odors, to blood and body fluids which may carry infection, to infectious disease, and to chemical and electrical hazards. Occasional exposure to outdoor climate.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Good visual acuity, accurate color vision. Ability to lift/transfer patients in excess of 100 pounds, which may require pushing, pulling and essentially utilizing a full range of body movement. Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch and/or crawl. Ability to reach, grasp, use fine finger movement and feel fine sensation to discern temperature, texture, size and shape. Ability to speak and hear.
MACHINES/EQUIPMENT USED: Surgical equipment in OR. Office equipment, computer, copier.
- Graduate of a recognized and accredited Surgical Technology Program.
- Prior Experience as an ORT preferred.
- Current Surgical Technologist certification.
- Successful completion of BCLS Course within 90 days of employment or documentation of current BCLS certification.
We value Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging at Surgical Care Affiliates: SCA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin, disability and genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
#SurgicalTech #SurgicalTechnologist #HealthcareJobs #MedicalJobs #Healthcare #Health #SCA #SurgicalCareAffiliates
Surgical Care Affiliates