SCA, a leader in the outpatient surgery industry, strategically partners with health plans, medical groups and health systems across the country to develop and optimize surgical facilities. SCA operates more than 210 surgical facilities, including ambulatory surgery centers and surgical hospitals, in partnership with approximately 7,500 physicians. For more information on SCA, visit.
East Pavilion Surgery Center is a new Ambulatory Surgery Center located in the East Pavilion of Providence St. Vincent's Medical Center at 9135 SW Barnes Rd., Suite 161. The facility will open with five operating rooms. East Pavilion Surgery Center will be proud to offer a wide range of outpatient services to patients, including but not limited to Urology, Otorhinolaryngology, Neurology, Gynecology and Plastic Surgery
Accountabilities / Responsibilities
The surgical technologist handles the instruments, supplies, and equipment necessary during the surgical procedure. He/she understands the procedure being performed and anticipates the needs of the surgeon. He/she has the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure and is constantly on vigil for maintenance of the sterile field.
- Donning OR attire and personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Gathers, checks and opens supplies and equipment needed for the surgical procedure.
- Performs the surgical scrub, and donning gown and gloves.
- Sets up the sterile back table and Mayo stand with instruments, supplies, equipment, and medications/solutions needed for the procedure.
- Performs initial instrument, sharps and sponge counts with the circulator.
- Assists the team members with gowning and gloving.
- Assists with draping the patient and establishing the sterile field.
- Participates in the surgical site and patient verification during the time out procedure.
- Secures tubing, cords and other sterile accessories.
- Prepares and anticipates additional instrumentation, equipment and supplies for usage during the procedure.
- Anticipates the needs of the surgeon by passing instruments and supplies to surgeon during procedure.
- Measures and passes medications, hemostatic agents and irrigation solutions utilized during the surgical procedure.
- Holds retractors or instruments as directed by the surgeon.
- Sponges or suctions the operative site.
- Applies electrocautery to clamps on bleeders.
- Cuts suture material as directed by the surgeon.
- Coordinates the camera or changes out robotic arms/instruments during endoscopic surgery as directed by the surgeon.
- Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during the procedure.
- Performs additional counts as necessary.
- Prepares sterile dressings and/or immobilization devices.
- Prepares and passes off specimen(s) as appropriate.
- Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization.
- Assists other members of the team with terminal cleaning of room.
- Assists in prepping the OR for the next patient.
- Participates in debriefing and quality improvement practices to ensure quality patient care.
- Properly cares for specimens.
- Secures dressings after incision closure.
- Helps transport the patient to the post anesthesia care unit.
- Successful completion of Surgical Technician program.
- Successful completion of Basic Cardiac Life Support Course required.
- Successful certification as Surgical Technician required.
- Two (2) years' related experience required. Spine, Gyn, Urology, ENT, General, and Plastic experience preferred
# of Openings1