HEAVY EQUIPMENT / DIESEL TECHNICIAN
Description/Job SummaryCompany Values
In the performance of their tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following Superior values:
INTEGRITY "Adhering to our principles" EXCELLENCE "Continually raising the industry standard"
COMMITMENT "Upholding our promises" PARTNERSHIP "Creating positive relationships"
This position is responsible for performing routine mechanical and preventative maintenance on all vehicles and equipment in the shop and/or on the job site, in the field.
- Install, adjust, and repair equipment and vehicles as needed.
- Perform system checks and troubleshooting using proper diagnostic tools.
- Repair and overhaul engines, brakes, ignition systems, electrical systems, transmission, differentials and hydraulic systems.
- Operate a variety of hand and power tools to repair, grease, weld, cut, change parts and complete repairs.
- Keep shop and work area in a clean and orderly condition.
- Diagnose problem to faulty part and determine repairs.
- Replace or repair part(s) as needed.
- Install non-OEM equipment and electrical components and test to ensure proper function.
- Observe mechanical devices and equipment and listen to sounds to determine proper functioning or identify causes of trouble.
- Dismantle equipment to gain access to and remove defective parts using hoists, cranes, hand tools and power tools.
- May fabricate and modify parts and equipment.
- Maintain and secure assigned mechanics truck at all times.
- Perform preventive maintenance on equipment and vehicles.
- Test vehicle/equipment after repair.
- Maintained required records of all repairs, parts replacement, etc.
- Place orders for supplies and parts as needed.
- Work in Superior Paving shop as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required SkillsJob Requirements
- Minimum 2 years experience performing complicated and extensive repairs to specialized equipment and systems on construction vehicles, dump trucks and equipment.
- Experience repairing engines, braking systems, hydraulics, suspensions and transmissions as well as electrical systems.
- Ability to perform preventive maintenance inspections.
- Demonstrate knowledge of equipment/automotive mechanics and principles.
- Must be able to use a welder and cutting torch as needed.
- Must have ability to read and follow maintenance and repair manuals.
- Ability to read, write and speak English.
- A good understanding of state, local and private requirements and regulations.
- Ability to work flexible schedule.
- Ability to work nights, overtime and weekends as necessary.
- Valid Drivers License with satisfactory driving record.
- Obtain a CDL drivers license within 1 year.
- Able to work outside in all weather conditions around crews and plants.
- Perform work under pressure in areas of extreme temperature materials.
- High School Diploma or equivalency preferred.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Attendance/Punctuality - is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Safety and Security - observes safety and security procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Teamwork - contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests.
- Quality - demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Productivity/Quantity - meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner; strives to increase productivity; works quickly.
- Dependability - follows instructions, responds to management direction; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Communication - listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for standing, walking, bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, twisting, grasping; and seeing and hearing within normal ranges. Must lift and/or move up to 75 pounds unassisted throughout the hour and shift.
Work Environment/Tools and Equipment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vehicle and field environment; travel from site to site; exposure to noise, dust, fumes, chemicals, vibrations; temperature variations and inclement weather conditions; work around heavy construction equipment. Work on uneven or wet surfaces.
Tools and equipment regularly used; hand and power tools including drills, hammers, torches, welders, cutting tools, grinder, pressure washer, A/C machine, and a variety of shop and hand tools, etc.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Superior Paving Corp.Gainesville, VA
AutomotiveView All Superior Paving Corp. Jobs
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.