Deputy General Counsel
Join our Growing Team and see why Summit Utilities, Inc was named as one of the Fastest Growing Denver Area Private Companies 2019 and 2020; Best Places to Work in Maine 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022; and Best Places to Work in Arkansas 2020 and Oklahoma 2022.
Summit is a growing natural gas utility company providing safe, reliable, and clean burning natural gas service to homes and businesses in Arkansas, Colorado, Maine, Missouri and Oklahoma. Being part of the Summit team means embracing excellence, diversity, and innovation, committing to safety each and every day, and doing all that we can to serve each other, our customers and the communities where we live. We aim to bring warmth and energy to everything we do.
We have an exciting opportunity open for a Deputy General Counsel based in our Little Rock or Fayetteville, AR office locations OR our Portland, ME office.
Summit Utilities, Inc.’s Legal Department is looking for an experienced attorney with general corporate legal and leadership skills to join its team as Deputy General Counsel. Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer (CLO), the Deputy General Counsel will provide comprehensive legal counsel and legal risk analysis for Summit’s business operations and initiatives with a particular focus on managing the company’s legal, records and litigation functions. We are looking for someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment and enjoys working on a vast array of different issues on a day-to-day basis.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide day-to-day legal counsel to clients on general corporate and compliance matters
- Provide mentoring and management to legal team members in areas including transactions, financing, disputes and claims management, insurance, records management and employment
- With CLO and other team members, manage company’s corporate governance, including supporting Board operations and entity management
- With CLO and executive team members, manage legal aspects of company’s M&A activities, including legal due diligence
- As member of Senior Leadership Team, coordinate cross-functional execution of company strategy
- Engage and manage outside counsel when appropriate
- Collaborate with legal team and clients to identify and implement process improvements
- Build cross-functional relationships with team members
- Obtain and maintain a solid knowledge of the company’s business, including state regulatory requirements in each of the jurisdictions we serve
- Other assigned duties
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- JD from accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law and in good standing in at lease one state bar
- Ten or more years of experience in a law firm, state regulatory agency or corporate setting
- Solid transactional, litigation, corporate governance and management experience is required
- Experience in utility regulation is strongly preferred; experience in employment law and real estate law is helpful, but not required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Demonstrate a business-friendly approach to legal problem solving and being able to effectively counsel clients with concise, practical advice and creative solutions
- Strong ability to mentor and manage effectively as part of a geographically dispersed legal team
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including an ability to interface effectively with all levels, understand the concerns and priorities of all company stakeholders and keep stakeholders regularly and timely updated
- Possess a strong desire to learn the business and new areas of law
- Able to work effectively and cooperatively with cross-functional colleagues in a geographically dispersed organization
- Exercise sound judgment, with a business-oriented approach, in developing creative and effective solutions
- A proven ability to manage multiple projects with an excellent ability to set priorities and manage expectations on deliverables and deadlines
- Self-starter who is sharp, quick to pick up new concepts, and willing to dig in and become an “expert” as needs arise
- Must be able to travel as necessary and utilize other strategies to ensure effective collaboration and productivity
Summit offers competitive pay and medical/dental/vision and other benefits that provide flexibility, choice, and support to our employees when they need it most. We understand that home and family are essential pieces of your life, and our benefits are designed to support you both at work and at home.
Summit Utilities, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Summit Utilities IncPortland, ME
LegalView All Summit Utilities Inc Jobs
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.