CMT - Special Inspector
- Posted: over a month ago
Summit Design and Engineering Services, one of the fastest growing companies in the Triangle area, is seeking a full-time field Special Inspector to join our growing Construction Materials Testing (CMT) and Special Inspections department. A successful candidate must be able to demonstrate effective written and verbal communication, follow proper testing procedures, provide detail-oriented inspections reports, operate under moderate supervision, and maintain cordial relationships with coworkers, clients, and contractors.
- Accurately perform inspections for various materials (e.g. - soils, concrete, structural steel, structural masonry, deep foundations or other specialty foundations, and fireproofing) for industrial, higher education, commercial, or municipal projects in accordance with applicable standards.
- Accurately and reliably perform required testing per applicable ASTM testing methods.
- Read and interpret design drawings and construction specifications.
- Observe work procedures and verify compliance with job specifications.
- Create and submit accurate and detailed inspection reports and test data sheets.
- Interact and communicate with general contractors, site supervisors, architects, structural engineers, and client representatives.
- Obtain ACI, ICC and NCDOT certifications with training.
Skills and Qualifications:
- High School diploma, Associates, Bachelor's Degree or equivalent.
- 3-8 years of experience performing onsite inspections and testing of various materials.
- Working knowledge of mathematics including algebra, geometry and trigonometry and ability to apply mathematical formulas and engineering principles to determine field adjustments.
- Proficient in the use of iPads, Microsoft Office, email, and OneDrive.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team setting, with an attention to detail and quality-minded focus.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have the ability to bend, stoop, kneel and twist, use hands to grasp and arms to reach, to raise hands above head, to sit, climb and balance and to work in confined spaces and heights.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds, on regular basis
- Must be able to walk over rough and uneven terrain and be able to stand up to 8 hours on a normal day and up to 12 hours on occasion.
Desired Certifications (combination thereof):
- ACI / NCDOT Concrete Field Technician Level 1
- ICC Soils
- ICC Reinforced Concrete
- ICC Masonry
- ICC Structural Steel and Bolting
- ICC Structural Welding
- ICC Spray-Applied Fireproofing
- NCDOT Certifications
Summit Design and Engineering Services is a multi-disciplined design and engineering firm. Established in 1997 and operating as Summit since 2004, we are structured to adapt quickly and offer clients the most current technology, innovative design solutions and comprehensive project management for turn-key delivery. We are passionate about what we do and always pursue excellence for our clients. We are headquartered in Hillsborough, North Carolina and have other offices throughout North Carolina as well as Virginia, South Carolina, Florida and Colorado.
Why Work for Summit?
At Summit, we encourage and support each other in our endeavors. We welcome different perspectives and ensure everyone's voice is heard. We act with integrity and transparency, lead with purpose, and embrace diversity. We promote individual growth and share success with our team and partners. We strive to be integral to the success of the communities we build and invest in community and company events that help our employees and their families feel connected.
We are devoted to developing Summit team members to be the best in the industry because we are passionate about our pursuit of excellence. We offer flexibility and encourage people to have a strong work life balance. We value hard work, having fun, and enjoy spending time together.
We seek individuals that want to help us build a more diverse and inclusive engineering and design community. If you want take your career to the next level, please apply.
Summit Design and Engineering is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action. E-verify.
A background check, including a criminal and driving record check, will be performed. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate. Many factors will be considered when a conviction is present.
Summit Design and Engineering Services
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?