- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Summit County, located in Utah, is currently accepting applications for a full-time Corrections Officer to perform law enforcement duties related to the security, safety, order, operation and maintenance of county jail facilities, including incarceration and detention of prisoners. Works under the close to general supervision of the Corrections Captain, Lieutenant, or Sergeant. May work under the Corrections Officer III or II, while training or on a case-by-case basis. May hire a Corrections Officer I, II, or III depending on submitted qualifications and experience, please see Corrections Officer II and III functions and qualifications attached. We are a drug free workplace conducting pre-employment drug testing. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage women, minorities and the disabled to apply. Open until filled. Applications reviewed as submitted.
SALARY $23.90 - $40.00/hourly
- Successfully completed NPOST
- Successful completion of or admittance to (P.O.S.T) Peace Officers Standards and Training Academy within six (6) months from date of hire or be certifiable as a Corrections Officer within the State of Utah. - PLEASE UPLOAD YOUR POST CERTIFICATE(S) WITH YOUR APPLICATION
- No experience necessary.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must possess a valid driver's license issued by your state of residence.
- Must work rotating shift work.
- Must complete 40 hours of training per year to maintain certification and all yearly certifications required by law and/or Departmental policy.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation, physical agility testing, and psychological evaluation.
- May not have been convicted of an offense involving dishonest, unlawful sexual conduct, physical violence and/or domestic violence; convicted of the unlawful use, sale or possession of a controlled substance prior to five (5) years from the date of conviction or last usage; convicted of a crime for which the applicant could have been punished by imprisonment in a federal penitentiary of this or another sate.
- Must satisfactorily pass a pre-employment psychological examination as well as a pre-employment polygraph examination.
- Options for a premium free Health Plan
- Dental Plan
- Life Insurance
- State of Utah Retirement
- Sick Leave
- Parental Leave
- Vacation Pay
- 401K Match
- Orientation Pay Increase - up to 3% increase at the successful completion of six-month orientation period
- Supervises inmates in county jail in accordance with established policies, regulations and procedures while assuming responsibility for all needs (physical, medical, etc.) of the prisoners during detention.
- Performs various tasks associated with inmate admissions; books prisoners; reviews offense status and classification (violent, non-violent, etc.) to determine appropriate level of security and confinement.
- Observes conduct and behavior of inmates to prevent disturbances and escapes; searches inmates and cells for contraband articles; patrols assigned areas for evidence of forbidden activities, infractions of rules and unsatisfactory attitudes or adjustment of prisoners, and reports observations to supervisor; performs inmate supervision during recreation and meal periods.
- Inspects locks, grills, doors and gates for tampering; employs various forms of discipline as needed to maintain order among prisoners, if necessary.
- Supervises prisoners in transit between jail, courtroom, prisons or other points, traveling by automobile or public transportation as required; locks prisoners in cell after searching for weapons, valuables or drugs.
- Secures all valuables and/or belongings and follows standard procedures designated for the disposing or maintaining of the same; orders and serves meals to prisoners and provides or obtains medical aid if needed; administers medication as prescribed by doctor.
- Prepares arrest records including reports, bookings, releases, fingerprinting and mug shot photography (identifying the prisoner and charge against him/her); assists in the maintenance of various records and information reporting materials and data base.
- Supervises trustees or prisoners on general work details inside or outside of jail; performs general maintenance of jail facility and environs; repairs safety and security devices; cleans and sanitizes cells; maintains inmate recreation area and equipment.
- Serves as bailiff; performs a variety of security tasks specific to maintaining courtroom order and insuring that courtroom processes are adhered to; serves as courtroom security officer by carrying out specific plans and programs to assure safety of court personnel and protection of facilities; follows specific instructions from appropriate supervisors.
- Must be able to perform as a credible witness in a court of law.
- Performs related duties as required.
AddressPark City, UT
GovernmentView all jobs at Summit County
Get fresh Correction Officer jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.