Statement of Purpose
To provide safe, quality, stimulating and effective resident care through therapeutic, educational and divisional interventions. Demonstrates skill and ability to lead various groups for a variety of functioning levels. Demonstrates ability to assess and develop training plans and carry out stated goals as documented. Demonstrates competency in planning and implimenting a monthly activities program that enriches the lives of our Residents.
Knowledge of community resources, activities of daily living and leisure skills. Provides functional guidance to other departmental team members and interdisciplinary members of the facility. Provides one-to-one service as requested and works with program volunteers. Implements and maintains professional conduct and markets the Recreation Therapy/Activities program within the community.
Major Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities
- Must be able to work cooperatively as a member of a team.
- Keeps confidential all resident information received.
- Able to work regularly scheduled hours while allowing for flexibility to meet unique department needs.
- Plans and implements a variety of therapeutic, educational and divisional activities for groups and individuals. Includes social, cognitive, physical, emotional and spiritual needs of the residents outside and within the facility.
- Uses motivational techniques with residents.
- Implements current policies and procedures of recreation therapy department and facility.
- Able to safely transfer and/or assist in the transfer of resident.
- Participates in the planning and implementation of facility special events on a monthly basis; participates in the planning and implementing of resident community outings.
- Operates equipment in the department, e.g. VCTV, DVD, VCR, movie projector, helium tank, etc.
- Attends regularly scheduled department meetings, continuing education, in-services and facility orientations.
- Oversees and distributes daily newspapers.
- Plans Recreation Therapy/Activities department in-services to facility members, families and the community as directed.
- Plans the development and distribution of monthly recreational/activities calendars.
- Plans the development and distribution of monthly newsletter.
- Assist in the direction of recreation therapy department volunteers.
- Maintains and stores equipment and supplies.
- Cleans up after conclusion of programs.
- Assures safety of residents at all times.
- Participates in Quality Assurance program.
- Promotes marketing of the facility and Recreation Therapy/Activities program.
- Provides answers and directions to family and visitors when needed.
- Works positively and professionally with other team members.
- Communicates with other departments as needed.
- Purchases items for department within budget limits directed by the Administrator.
- Uses efficient and productive work habits.
- Conducts self in a competent and professional manner.
- Undertakes special projects as requested with satisfactory completion within established time frames.
- Demonstrates the ability to select and provide appropriate tasks and activity experience in compliance with treatment goals.
- Consistently facilitates resident participation in facility activities.
- Conducts groups in a knowledgeable and competent fashion.
- Identifies potential problems, reports them to Administrator, and offer suggestions for corrective action when required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
These statements set forth the basic tasks and duties of the job, but are not intended to provide a detailed description of all functions that may be required to perform the job satisfactorily.
- Experience in a community/facility setting relating to Therapeutic Recreation/Activities preferred.
- Experience preferred in documentation, organization skills, knowledge of state and national regulations, program analysis and selection, budgeting, verbal and writing skills, leading groups, experience planing and implimenting activities for a senior living population.
- Ability to see, hear, stand, bend, walk and reach above the head.
- Ability to work under stress and in emergency situations.
- Understands principles of growth and development for the entire life span with the ability to provide care appropriate for adult and geriatric residents as appropriated to the resident population.