Distribution Manager - California
Summer Infant Inc Woonsocket, RI
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Distribution Operations Manager will be the senior on-site leader responsible for the day-to-day operation of our 350,000 square foot Riverside, California Distribution Center. This position delivers ongoing support to our global warehouse network, providing warehouse operations, process, and technology support to deliver operating plans which meet production goals, quality, and cost objectives. Job requires integration with finance, procurement, transportation operations, materials management, and customer operations to ensure efficiency and customer satisfaction.
Candidate accountability includes the implementation of company policies/procedures, employee safety, and customer centric practices while ensuring company values and competencies are practiced throughout the facility at all levels. The individual will drive success by effectively directing, leading, and coaching both direct and indirect reports creating a positive working environment.
Duties & Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. (Other duties may be assigned.)
- Establish and ensure alignment of distribution and transportation objectives to meet the strategic, competitive, and internal needs of the organization and our customers.
- Manage activities associated with receiving, storing and dispatching goods, tracking shipments and returns, co-coordinating import and export activities and liaising with internal and external customers and suppliers as necessary.
- Lead the organization, planning, and delivery of all day-to-day distribution activities.
- Continually challenge DC processes, identify opportunities, develop strategies, present recommendations, and implement programs that will enhance DC operational effectiveness including productivity, accuracy, quality, cost, and service level.
- Make sound fact-based decisions and follow up on critical issues in a timely manner
- Ensure warehousing/distribution KPI’s are established and utilized in support of continuous improvement goals.
- Develop and manage relationships with internal and external customers, as well as transportation and other critical suppliers, to gain insights/ industry knowledge and maximize collaboration.
- Apply process excellence to increase effectiveness/efficiency. Proactively drive ongoing improvements to the business processes/systems in support of the key business objectives.
- Work closely with IT to design and implement Warehouse Management System (WMS) solutions that deliver maximum efficiency in support of business objectives.
- Develop annual operating budget in support of the corporate financial goals; manage Distribution Center P&L.
- Develop schedules and staffing requirements for the site. Lead direct and indirect labor management strategies to drive cost and productivity improvements.
- Develop & Maintain optimal headcount / team design; recruit/develop most suitable employees for all positions.
- Ensure development of supervisors and associates through clearly communicated performance objectives, business process training, career development planning, and regular feedback/coaching to ensure goal achievement.
- Deliver on service level agreements & operations performance goals of safety, quality, customer service, & cost.
- Ensure company policies and procedures are applied fairly and consistently to all Distribution Center personnel.
- Ensure OSHA requirements are met in the warehouse. Maintain strict observance of all health and safety regulations and practices.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor ‘s degree and/or qualifications in Industrial Engineering, Logistics, Supply Chain, Business, or a related field is preferred.
- 10+ years of hands-on operations management experience in a medium to large sized high-volume distribution center or fulfillment center, preferably shipping to retailers such as Wal-Mart, Target, TRU, etc.
- Experience running a DC of at least 350,000 sq. ft. with full P&L responsibility and final accountability.
- Intimate knowledge of DC workflow processes with strong exposure to cross-functional supply chain areas including: demand planning, supply planning, transportation, customer operations, and plant operations.
- Working knowledge of warehouse technology integration points to customers, suppliers, Enterprise Resource Planning systems (preferably Microsoft GP/AX), transportation systems, and material handling equipment and the ability to introduce new technologies that improve DC efficiency and capacity.
- Proven track record of effective leadership, demonstrating interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate strategy and maintain team focus. Experience establishing work teams, collaborating across functions/organizations and partnering with management in a cross-functional team environment is required.
- Demonstrated excellent analytical, organizational, planning, and problem-solving skills including ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Strong vendor management skills including sourcing, negotiating, contract development, and ongoing management.
- Demonstrated team-building and training capabilities.
- General aptitude for various software systems and a strong working knowledge of the MS-Office Suite of products, with particular emphasis on MS-Excel.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) including the ability to prepare RFP’s, write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Able to clearly convey complex information and ideas to individuals or groups and be effective in cross-functional team setting.
- Ability to interpret and/or work with a variety of technical documents, instructions, Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), contracts, Service Level Agreements (SLA’s).
- Ability to synthesize complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures. Able to define problems, collect data, and use analytics to establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Supervisory Position: Yes (employees plus agency temporary workers)
Physical and Mental Demands
- Work Setting: Warehouse, indoors
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time; may require bending, kneeling, climbing, squatting
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move about the warehouse
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine and computer printer
- The ability to communicate information and ideas so others will understand. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- The ability to observe details at close range
Job Type: Full-time
Summer Infant Inc
Transportation and StorageView all jobs at Summer Infant Inc