Subaru SIA Lafayette, IN
- Posted: over a month ago
- Benefits: 401k, dental, life_insurance, medical, vision
Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc.
Safety Specialist- Professional Staff Associate
Overview: Subaru of Indiana Automotive Inc. was America’s first zero-landfill automotive manufacturing company and is the safest vehicle manufacturer in the country. SIA is a 4.4 million square foot facility with 6400+ associates and is growing. The automotive manufacturing plant houses both production and administration offices. The SIA facility is a fully-integrated automotive OEM, meaning that our manufacturing process begins with sheet metal and ends with a high-quality vehicle – all under one roof. Subaru’s customer base has proven to be highly resilient during economic downturns and, this brand loyalty has led to our plant’s continuous and aggressive growth since its 1989 inception.
Safety Department: The Safety department maintains the organization’s workplace safety expertise, develops and conducts safety training, investigates injuries, and promotes monthly safety campaigns. The Safety team works closely with Associates, Group Leaders, Managers and Engineers to promote workplace safety and to listen and respond to safety concerns and recommendations for improvement.
· Conduct Safety Audits on Production Floor
· Conduct Equipment Reviews and Buyoffs for new or modified equipment
· Respond to Associate concerns
· Review and interpret OSHA, ANSI, NFPA, or other applicable regulations
· Update and create Safety Engineering Standards, SIA Safety Policies and Procedures
· Investigate injuries and determine root causes
· Investigate Powered Material Handling Equipment incidents and determine root causes
· Coordinate Production, Maintenance and Engineering Meetings to determine countermeasures for open punchlist items
· Work with Section Managers to assist in developing Injury Reduction Plans
· Assist with developing safety campaigns or other activities to eliminate injuries
· Coordinate and Conduct safety training as needed to include but not limited to Powered Material Handling Equipment and Crane, Lockout Tagout, Confined Space, Fire Prevention, Fire Extinguisher, Haz Comm/GHS, Emergency Response, Aerial Lift, OSHA 10 Hour, PPE, CTI Orientation, other required OSHA Training
· Assist with developing new safety training to include orientation training for New Hires and Contractors
· Input, file all training records or associated documents, assist with ISO45001 implementation
· Packaging Sketch reviews for racks/ totes/ equipment
· Online tracking of Safety Data Sheets including reviews/ edits/ updates
· Assist with Industrial Hygiene Sampling
· Specific Safety Representative for Powertrain expansion, Service Parts expansion, and additional building expansions (Construction, Engineering, Equipment Safety knowledge)
· Provide 2nd shift coverage one day per week and adjust schedule on occasion to meet organizational business needs
· Motivated self-starter able to prioritize work to align with evolving business needs.
· Excellent presentation, oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills to effectively interact with all levels of the organization.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills using root cause analysis techniques with a focus on attention to detail and a learning orientation.
· Ability to work as a team player including supporting and seeking support of teammates to meet the goals and objectives of the organization.
· Exceptional customer service skills.
Required Education, Experience and Qualifications
· Bachelor’s degree in Safety or Industrial Hygiene or a related science
· 5+ years of safety-related experience or industrial hygiene experience in a manufacturing facility or regulatory agency
· An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
· Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Access
· Ability to work and build relationships with all levels of the organization (Managers, Group Leaders, Engineers, Production Associates)
Preferred Education, Experience and Qualifications
· Bachelor’s degree in Safety or Industrial Hygiene
· OSHA Train-the-Trainer Certification
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates approximately 50% of the time in a professional open office environment subject to frequent interruptions and distractions and approximately 50% of the time on the production floor. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones and photocopiers. The role frequently collaborates with colleagues, internal customers/Associates and management.
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an Associate with or without a reasonable accommodation to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the Associate is required to be at work as scheduled consistently and dependably, talk or hear. The Associate is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger for keyboarding, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms.
This position generally works administrative hours (8:30 am to 5:00 pm four day per week) with 2nd shift coverage (12:30 – 9:00 p.m.) one day a week as part of team rotation and occasional alternate hours to meet safety training objectives. This position is subject to occasional Saturday and/or Sunday overtime to meet demands of production. This position does not currently allow for remote work opportunities.
This position requires minimal travel. Occasional travel to Japan may be required in the future.
Subaru of Indiana Automotive (SIA) has 6400+ employees at this location and builds the Subaru vehicles seen on US roads: Outback, Legacy, Impreza, and the 3 row SUV, Ascent.
5500 IN-38 EastLafayette, IN