Budget Accountant - Education
- Posted: over a month ago
Be a Star at the Straz Center for the Performing Arts!
This position is responsible for managing the financial functions and coordinating the budget process of the Straz Education & Community Engagement departments. This role is actively involved with the budgetary and operational decisions related to the departments and is responsible for the month-end accounting, financial reporting, budgeting, and analytics to support management.
Located in downtown Tampa, the Straz offers flexible hours, event-based schedules including evenings and weekends, and a team-based work environment. Straz benefits for full-time staff include options for health/dental, vision, and other benefits plus a generous 403(b) plan.
Join our team members who have a passion for advancing the arts and embracing the Straz Center's mission and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives!
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Fiscal Budget Management:
- Oversees the budgeting and forecasting processes for the Straz Education Programs & Community Engagement departments.
- Develops and updates all budget templates and follows up with department heads in meeting respective deadlines and deliverables.
- Oversees month-end, quarter-end, and fiscal year-end processes, including related audits and journal entries.
- Maintains schedules for tracking revenue and releasing deferred revenue streams.
- Provides oversight on, and changes to, established internal controls.
- Monitors risk management controls through SOPs and/or insurance contracts.
- Tracks and monitors all income and expenses to maintain in line with the budget.
- Oversees P-card administration, spending, and approval.
- Ensures all invoices for departmental expenses are forwarded for signature.
- Reviews all related departmental business partner contracts and ensures maximum legal and financial protection.
- Assesses departmental capital needs, prepares capital budget proposals, and tracks and reports on capital budget spending and project completion.
- Conducts month-end accounting and financial review and provides analytic support on strategic needs and objectives.
- Prepares all related financial reports; tracks and analyzes financial and operating data utilizing applications software, making recommendations on report customization, as necessary. Provides variance and trending analysis and related fiscal management recommendations.
- Oversees Event Settlements, current and outstanding Accounts Receivables, and Prepaids, and prepares related monthly journal entries, reconciling monthly.
- Performs financial business modeling for new and/or existing department programs, financial reporting and analytical support in ongoing accreditation compliance and assists with evidence gathering for re-accreditation reviews.
- Establishes Admissions financial and cash management policies and risk management controls and prepares daily sales deposits.
- Manages student payment protocol and ensures all students maintain current standing with Admissions.
- Reviews hiring paperwork and contracts to ensure accuracy and compliance with existing HR policies.
- Performs timekeeping, staffing analytics, and troubleshooting by reconciling staff headcount against the budget.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- The job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this position. This is not an exhaustive list of all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Straz Center management reserves the right to amend or change duties, responsibilities, or activities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary at any time, with or without notice.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a diverse population.
- Excellent written, verbal, and organizational skills.
- Proactive individual, proficient with working independently and on teams to achieve organizational goals.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple, deadline-driven projects in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Creative and analytical thinker with financial modeling experience.
- Proficient in MS Office applications including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook.
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Finance or Accounting required.
- At least three to five years professional experience in related function, preferably academic; budget cycle coordination and completion experience required.
- Experience with using financial and customer relationship management database software required.
- Experience with Blackbaud, ASAP and/or Tessitura preferred.
- At least one year of management experience in leading department heads through required financial processes, is a plus.
- Non-for-profit accounting experience is a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
- The nature of this job requires that the employee work on-site as a regular work routine. Most often, on-site work is required daily.
- Must be willing to be fully vaccinated by date of hire, unless a specific exemption or accommodation has been requested and approved based on current local, state, and federal laws.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, use the computer and telephone, reach with hands and arms, and communicate both in person and by telephone.
The David A. Straz, Jr. Center for the Performing Arts, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to being an inclusive workplace and strongly believes in the importance of having a diverse group of individuals represented. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.
Please visit our website at www.StrazCenter.org to learn more about the Straz Center.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Straz Center for the Performing Arts
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at Straz Center for the Performing Arts