Strateos has developed the first robotic cloud laboratory platform for on-demand life science research by creating a programming language, run time, and IDE for controlling scientific experiments. Top ten pharmaceutical companies and emerging biotech companies use the platform to conduct efficient, reproducible and rapid experimentation from anywhere in the world.Our Team
There are two separate web apps that our team owns. The first is secure.transcriptic.com, which is where end users manage their scientific workflow on Strateos. The other is a UI that is used to monitor and control our lab automation robots.
The customer facing app, secure.transcriptic.com, is responsible for letting end users manage their science on Strateos -- upload protocols, launch experiments, track experiments, manage inventory, view diagnostic data, etc. It is a React single page app on a Rails API. We use tech like Postgres, Rails, Elastic Search, json api, Docker, es6/TypeScript, React, and webpack. You can learn more about its functionality at developers.transcriptic.com. It is responsible for parsing, checking, and virtually executing Autoprotocol (autoprotocol.org) which is our open source language for describing scientific intent. You can kind of think of the web app as an IDE for scientists to do their work -- it is a one stop shop for launching real experiments to be executed and analyzed. A big part of our team’s role is to think about how science can be done remotely, through code and data science, instead of by hand. Providing a rich interface to a robotic cloud lab is no easy task.
The “SCLE Dashboard”
The SCLE dashboard is a UI that the operators use to control our automated labs. The operator uses this interface to monitor the progress of the robotics and to know when they are needed to add and remove resources. Its primary feature is an interactive and real time graph of the schedule of tasks that is rendered on an HTML canvas. The stack for this app (for the web portion) is React, TypeScript, websockets, and a thin Scala server using Akka Http. This sits on top of “SCLE” -- the backend of our system which is managed by another group within software and is responsible for scheduling and executing the entire experiment.
We also have a couple of JS libraries that both of these apps depend on, which we host on our private npm registry (Gemfury). For example, https://amino.transcriptic.com/ is our design system and our React component library. This helps us have consistent UI across both apps.We Want
The Web team is looking to add experienced engineers who want to build the future of scientific research. We joined this company to revolutionize science and we want to work with people who appreciate the mission. We are less concerned about your specific knowledge of languages/frameworks and our interview process is tailored to be agnostic to how you built web apps in the past. We have a broad technology stack with many moving pieces. We put a high premium on people who are able to take complex processes (like a scientific workflow) and design a software solution that can scale.You Have
- Strong front and back-end experience.
- 3+ years professional experience
- Bachelor's degree in CS or relevant field
- Experience building distributed systems, or systems that interface with hardware
- Experience in the sciences
- Experience with statically typed languages (especially TypeScript, Scala, or Java)
- We will be committed to your growth as an engineer. You will learn both the hard and soft skills required to excel in a fast paced, hard tech environment.
- A multi-disciplinary environment with software engineers, roboticists, and scientists.
- An environment that supports open source hacking
- The opportunity to work with large robots
- A challenging environment that will give you the opportunity to grow and improve
- Opportunities to learn new technologies and fields, along with the freedom to work on hard technology and real science
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly gym stipend
- Lunch, dinner & unlimited snacks
- Professional development budget
- 401k matching
Strateos is an equal opportunity employer