This role analyzes and underwrites SBA and C&I loans to evaluate overall financial status, credit worthiness, legal considerations and collateral support. The position requires efficient detailed analysis under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Perform underwriting related to new loan requests, including Commercial (C&I) and SBA in accordance with the lender’s credit policies and in accordance with the Small Business Administration (SBA) Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and prudent lending guidelines.
- Work directly with bank loan officers and borrowers to correctly assess credit worthiness and eligibility for SBA and conventional financing options.
- Exhibit working knowledge of the SBA’s programs and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Evaluate complex financial information to determine potential customer’s financial stability, debt repayment ability and collateral coverage by reviewing trends relative to industry standards, assessing recent financial performance and estimating potential risk to the bank focusing on projected cash flow results.
- Perform reviews of DRAFT or completed Loan memorandums for compliance with SBA and prudent lending standards. Provide review comments and recommend changes as appropriate.
- Analyze borrower credit quality and collateral quality, etc. as expected from scopes of work.
- Obtain missing files and/or missing documentation as needed.
- Identify risks (and mitigants) to cash flows, collateral and management ability.
- Review appraisal to include synopsis in credit memo.
- Maintain appropriate internal and external customer expectations of excellent service, responsiveness and follow-up.
- Prepare written reports related to loans and collateral, recommend appropriate actions, and prepare correspondence and present results to the client.
- Exercise independent judgment in the performance of risk assessment/analysis and underwriting
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or other equivalent experience.
- Seven to ten years’ experience as an Underwriter of all types of commercial based loans; at least 3 years with an emphasis on SBA underwriting.
- Knowledge of all federal and state regulations regarding sound lending policies and practices.
- Intermediate understanding and knowledge of SBA eligibility, SBA SOP, and guidelines
- High-level skills in assessing quality of SBA loans.
- Sound judgment, strong interpersonal and technical skills and a professional demeanor.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks / assignments on time without direct supervision.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, learn new concepts and understand the impact of changing technology on workflow processes.
- Ability to work with cross functional groups throughout all levels within the organization and participate in the problem solving process.
- Ability to identify and mitigate credit risks
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial statements, business reports and legal document.
- Proven excellence in written and oral communications.
- Ability to prioritize work and perform under limited supervision.
- Working knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Strong prioritization and organization skills.
We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military service, or any other basis protected by law.
- Underwriting: 7 years (Required)
- SBA SOP: 3 years (Required)
- SBA loan underwriting: 3 years (Required)