- Posted: over a month ago
StoneAge Inc. is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of automated waterblast equipment and tooling for industrial companies and contractors worldwide. Quality StoneAge products for industrial, sewer, and downhole cleaning, as well as custom-engineered equipment for application-specific challenges, are distributed worldwide from our sales and rental facilities and across a global network of over 90 dealers in 35 countries.
StoneAge is looking for a dynamic and experienced Controller who will streamline the financial controls and reporting as the company as it continues to grow. The Controller will oversee the global accounting functions including financial reporting, compliance, internal controls, payroll and treasury management. StoneAge is a global business with multiple entities across the US and Europe. We are a long-established but rapidly growing company, with a vision to transform and disrupt the industry through tech-enabled processes. We are employee-owned, with the goal to grow 10x in the next decade. With that growth comes unpredictability, and we are looking for a Controller that is experienced and energized by the challenge of managing teams and contributing to this growth trajectory. This position can be performed remotely, but regular on-site presence (approximately one week per month) is required. Qualified candidates will need to live within reasonable proximity of our Durango headquarters location, or be located a short flight away.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience and skills to create and maintain order and predictability in a fast-paced, sometimes changing environment – through the deployment, management and measurement of predictable systemic processes and SOPs. They have led teams to achieve timely completion of regular and scheduled tasks and regular day-to-day activities despite the sometimes-changing environment.
This position reports to the Vice President of Finance and Accounting. This position can be performed remotely, but regular on-site presence (approximately one week per month) is required. Qualified candidates will need to live within reasonable proximity of our Durango headquarters location, or be located a short flight away. The starting salary for this position is estimated to be between $140K to $160K annually depending on experience.
What You’ll Be Doing:
Financial Controls and Reporting
- Oversee month-end processes ensuring quality while implementing continuous improvements to reduce days-to-close time
- Review account reconciliations ensuring a clean balance sheet and provide feedback to develop accounting team
- Review and post journal entries while ensuring accuracy, completeness and proper support
- Produce consolidated financials on a monthly basis. Complete a review for accuracy and provide notes explaining the results
- Partner with operations teams to improve processes connected to financial data
- Work with teammates as needed to assist in preparation of financial reports and ad-hoc reports to the Executive Management Team, CEO, and Board of Directors
- Participate in the presentation and review of financial information during company meetings
- Participate on the acquisitions team to develop models, conduct due diligence, and make recommendations to the Executive Management Team, CEO and Board of Directors
- Maintain overall control environment for pricing, discounts, payroll, capital expenditures and operating expenses
- Participate in Data Governance improvements to support long term reporting needs and process improvements
- Participate in the onboarding of acquisitions and lead integration efforts of accounting policies and procedures
- Foster continuous improvement culture and determine areas in accounting to support lean initiatives and best practices
- Manage year-end audits, reviews, and compilations, for all legal entities and manage relationship with network of CPA firms
- Work with accounting firm to comply with tax obligations on the local, state, and federal level
- Use professional judgement in all financial activities. Examine transactions for proper authorization, accuracy and ensure company safeguards are met
Process and Procedures
- Create accounting policies and procedures and system to support audits and month-end
- Partner with operations, sales and engineering teams to develop internal controls and ensure financial integrity
- Oversee sales and use tax, VAT, and any other input/output tax process including filings and monitoring nexus
- Complete state registration for payroll tax related items as needed and maintain annual registrations
- Develop understanding of ESOP computation for financials and oversee benefit plan audits
- Own intercompany accounting processes and ensure transfer pricing policy is properly applied in statutory audits
- Oversee the annual insurance renewal. Help to identify new risk and areas of exposure to ensure proper coverage
Payroll and Treasury Management
- Oversee the payroll process and ensure timely and accurate payments and reporting of wages, taxes, and hours
- Support treasury manager in timely and accurate payments and cash collection goals
- Improve treasury processes through seeking use of automation and revised processes
- Provide on-going supervision and counseling of the Accounting team (currently 7 members), guiding them in current positions and assisting with their career development and training
- Work effectively as a team member with the accounting department staff, members of the joint management team, and senior staff of StoneAge
- Build partnerships outside of Accounting and work to break down silos. Build bridges and create shared values across departments
What You’ll Bring to the Table:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required. CPA or equivalent license is preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in performing accounting functions including general ledger accounting, financial statement preparation, treasury management, and audit preparation.
- Minimum 7 years in an accounting supervisory position, ideally as a Controller.
- Experience with international business operation, foreign currencies, and statutory audits
- Communicate effectively in all mediums with a diverse group of people; understand different global cultures.
- Strong understanding of GAAP/IFRS and its application to internal accounting practices
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills.
- Good understanding of the functionality of ERP systems and a working knowledge of Windows based computer applications to include MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Outlook.
- Have a strong belief in ethics and ability to maintain high levels of confidentiality.
- Have strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate and manage well at all levels of the organization and with staff at remote locations.
- Have a high level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
- Be an excellent manager and team builder, strategic thinker, and customer service driven.
- The starting salary for this position is estimated to be between $140K to $160K annually depending on experience.
- Travel is required.
- Responsibilities may require extended working hours beyond normal business hours.
- While this job can primarily be performed remotely, regular on-site presence (approximately one week per month) will be required for the purpose of building strong relationships with the team and gaining firsthand knowledge of business operations. Qualified candidates will need to live within reasonable proximity of our Durango headquarters location, or be located a short flight away.
- We value the diversity of the people we hire and serve. Diversity at Our Company means fostering a workplace where individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected, and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths.
- Research shows that oftentimes women and other minority groups only apply to open roles if they meet 100% of the listed criteria. StoneAge encourages everyone – including women, people of color, individuals with disabilities and those in the LGBTQIA+ community – to apply for our available positions, even if they don’t necessarily check every box on the job description.
StoneAge offers a comprehensive benefits program that includes group health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, paid time off, paid holidays, a 401(k) plan with a guaranteed match, paid parental leave, a wellness rewards program, and much more.
We are an employee-owned company with profit-sharing and an Employee Stock Ownership Plan ("ESOP"), in which shares of company stock are allocated to eligible employees each year.
Our "Own It" mindset captures what many of us consider the biggest benefit of all: a highly engaged, collaborative workplace where everyone matters and every employee makes a significant impact.
Finance and Insurance
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?