Stone Security Engineering is an internationally recognized consulting firm specializing in the protection of people, buildings, and structures from accidental and manmade hazards. We focus on Extreme Loading (including blast, ballistics, vehicle ramming, and forced entry resistance) and safety, engineering and design. Stone has offices in New York and the Washington DC Metro area and supports testing at the Stone-OBL Large-Scale Blast Test Facility in Bend Oregon.
This position is based in Salem Oregon and will support Stone’s operations related to:
- Research, product development and testing for extreme loads (blast, ballistics, and forced entry), and
- Protective design consulting work for our east coast offices.
Research, Product Development and Testing
The position will provide support for product development, test planning, test setup design, and test execution support for extreme loading test efforts for a variety of Protective Design Products and/or techniques applicable to the Protective Design Industry. Roles include the following:
- Provide structural engineering analysis and detailing support for development of Protective Design Products for customers. This will be accomplished under the guidance of, and collaboration with, the overall Stone technical team.
- Regular interaction with Stone’s in-house testing technical team and the customer program team to define test objectives and execution requirements to support program implementation.
- Coordinate with the test team, customer test lead, and test site manager on execution processes, procedures, quality control and documentation requirements.
- Attend meetings and provide guidance on test objectives and requirements during the test planning process.
- Develop and document test plans and/or test plan inputs required by the customer to execute program testing.
- Structural design of test-setup configuration, develop and/or review and approve shop drawings, and inspect and/or supervise construction related activities at the test site.
- Work with materials sub-contractors to ensure test apparatus structural elements are properly constructed, on-time, and well-coordinated with the test site team.
- Post-process test data and coordinate with the instrumentation engineer to finalize data capture, photo, and video formatting, and the required customer deliverables.
- Documentation of pre- and post-testing conditions and develop test reports.
Protective Design Consulting Work
Because our testing programs have seasonal highs and lows, the position will also support Stone’s overall protective design consulting work. This may include blast vulnerability assessments, blast resistant building design and detailing, building assessment site visits, etc. This will be accomplished under the guidance of, and collaboration with, the overall Stone technical team.
- Bachelor of Science, or higher degree, in civil, structural or mechanical engineering and 5+ years’ experience.
- Practical experience and knowledge of structural design and construction, including concrete, steel, wood, glazing and other building materials.
- Works well within a team but does not require constant supervision.
- Able to communicate easily and efficiently with both technical and non-technical staff, clients and contractors.
- Experienced user of MS Office products, AutoCAD and Sketchup.
- Ability to travel to Bend Oregon on a regular basis.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense Secret clearance as needed, which includes U.S. citizenship.
- Experience with test procedure development and test execution.
- Experience with on-site building construction.
- Experience with dynamic and/or blast resistant analysis and design.
- Licensed Engineer in the State of Oregon or able to obtain licensure.
- Knowledge in test methodology, project management, and requirements verification/validation.
- Experience in documenting test performances, failures and corrective actions.
- Experience in and supporting test program for design reviews, schedule meeting, liaison with test ranges. Etc.