Animal Care Specialist at Five Acres Animal Shelter
- Posted: over a month ago
The Animal Care Specialist at Five Acres Animal Shelter is responsible for the wellness care of canines and felines at the shelter including the completion of daily tasks such as feeding, cleaning, walking, socialization and more. The ideal candidate will have experience with animal care and training, customer service, and working well within a team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide excellent customer service
- Feed and water animals
- Clean and disinfect all cages, floors, and other areas on a daily basis
- Clean food bowls and do laundry
- Provide training and enrichment to shelter animals
- Administer prescribed medications
- Transport animals to vet appointments
- Scoop yards on a daily basis
- Monitor shelter for signs of disease and take necessary steps to prevent the spread of disease
- Enter animals into database
- Assist volunteers with meeting the shelter’s needs
- Assist with the intake of animals
- Complete adoption interviews along with necessary paperwork
- Groom animals as needed to maintain a healthy coat, nails, and ears
- Maintain an organized work environment
- All other duties as assigned
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret and act upon a variety of instructions. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions or to rely on own best judgement. Ability to use sound judgment regarding safety and care of animals, customers, staff, and volunteers.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
Work is performed in an animal shelter environment. Exposure to various weather conditions while working can occur. Can lift or move up to 50 pounds on a regular basis. Must be able to sustain a full shift of walking, bending and lifting.
All candidates must pass a background check (criminal and driving) and be 18 yrs of age or older.
All candidates will be required to provide work references prior to being considered for employment.
AddressSaint Charles, MO
AnimalView all jobs at Steve Brooks