Summer Camp Substitute Counselor - D.C. - Capitol Hill
- $17 to $20 Yearly
Location: 1150 5th St SE, Washington, D.C. 20003
Camp Dates: 7/3/23 - 8/11/23, M-F (additionally, one weekend to set up and one weekend to breakdown)
Camp Hours: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm (actual shifts will vary)
Hourly Wage: $17.25 - $19.75
At Steve & Kate's, we put radical trust in kids so that they learn to trust themselves. Campers choose minute-to-minute how to spend their time because making decisions today helps to build the self-confidence they’ll need to wrangle unknowns tomorrow. We value empowering our staff to be their whole authentic selves because everyone in our community needs to feel included! Sound like something you can get behind? If so, we're looking for team members who are motivated babysitters, teachers, coaches, students, athletes, artists, and anyone ready to play hard and be goofy. As a Steve & Kate’s staff member, you’ll sharpen your inherent leadership skills, learn some new ones, and collaborate with interesting people, all while immersing yourself in creativity and play.
As a Substitute Staff member, you’ll seamlessly step into camp on an as-needed basis when our full-time staff are unavailable, or we have a spike in attendance increasing our staffing needs. While your schedule will vary, the responsibilities of a Sub look much the same as our full-time staff. Staff members will be responsible for facilitating activities, making connections, and monitoring safety and wellness. Some staff members will create and/or oversee activity spaces in which campers will self-select activities, while other staff will work in rotating support roles throughout camp. The best way to find out what your specific responsibilities would be is to speak with your local director, but activities include sewing, stop-motion animation, maker space, performing arts, arts and crafts, lounging, recreation, and so much more!
- Actively supervising campers
- Maintaining an organized and approachable activity space
- Ensure compliance with Camp Policies
- Reporting & Recording details of notable concerns or incidents, and of injuries to campers, other staff members, or self
- Keeping track and being aware of camper allergies and dietary restrictions
- adding daily updates and photos to campers’ profiles
How do you know if you’re the right candidate?
- Does the idea of guiding kids while they make decisions for themselves excite you?
- Are you calm under pressure and able to calm those around you?
- Are you comfortable leading groups of kids on your own while still collaborating with a team?
- Do you have the stamina to keep up (literally) with 4-12 year old’s bursting with energy and creative potential? And, can you bench press a kindergartener (just kidding -- can you lift up to 40lbs)?
- Are you passionate about sharing your knowledge & learning something new (even if a third grade is doing the teaching)?
- At least 16 years of age
- Minimum of 2 months experience working with camp–age children, with 1 year preferred, in either a professional, personal or volunteer setting.
- First Aid & CPR certified prior to Day 1 of Camp (some locations may require additional certifications)
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 to ensure compliance with enhanced health and safety protocols and to keep themselves and others safe and free from illness
Powered by JazzHR
Steve & Kate's CampWashington, DC
Sports and Recreation
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.