Benefits (including health, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement)
Application Packet Requirements:
1. Completed Application (downloaded from www.steesefire.org)
3. Copies of all required certifications
4. Two letters of reference
This is a non-exempt position reporting directly to a Fire Captain. The position provides initial response to fire, ems, rescue, and hazardous materials in the Steese Fire and EMS Service areas. Serves as apparatus driver for emergency response when needed as well as Lead Medic. Performs daily fire department business, facility & equipment maintenance, and equipment checks. May be assigned special areas of responsibility (i.e., PPE & Uniforms, Hose Testing, EMS) The position requires attendance at all weekly and assigned training classes, instructs during recruit training and participates in training drivers. The Firefighter/Medic must achieve developmental benchmarks as outlined in the “Terms of Employment” of this document. Firefighter/Medics will function as Acting Captains when needed. The position calls for working a rotating 48-hour shift, 96 hours off or 8 hours per day/ 40 hours per week schedule.
- Shall provide leadership and mentorship to the members of this organization by teaching, equipping, and encouraging potential volunteers, new recruits, scholarship/interns, and sustaining members.
- This position performs emergency firefighting activities to include but not limited to, driving fire apparatus on response, interior attack, wildland firefighting, rescue operations, motor vehicle extrication, and hazardous materials operations.
- Functions on EMS calls primarily as Lead Medic but may also serve as Ambulance Driver, or Medic, depending on response needs at that time.
- Assists in instructing recruits, drivers training, organizing drills, and special department training classes.
- Participates in daily and weekly vehicle checks, preventative maintenance on apparatus/ambulances/vehicles/equipment.
- Participates in the maintenance of stations and grounds to include cleaning/janitorial, stocking of supplies, mowing, plowing/shoveling, light repairs such as painting, etc., and other tasks as required to keep facilities clean, orderly and functional at all times.
- Assists in performing computer data entry of EMS reports, training reports, PPE assigned to personnel, hose records, SCBA records, and other projects as assigned.
- Abides by department’s Standard Operating Procedures, Policies, and Guidelines.
- This position may be called upon to perform duties outside of regularly scheduled work hours when department staffing, critical incidents, or important department projects are in need.
- This position shall perform other duties as assigned by the Fire Chief or designee that assists in the daily operation and organization of the department.
- Must be at least 19 years of age
- Two (2) years of active experience as a Structural Firefighter.
- Physically fit to perform fire ground duties/task performances to include entry into structure fires. Department physical ability test must be passed prior to hiring and on an annual basis.
- Pass the department’s medical physical prior to hiring and pass on an annual basis.
- Current valid Alaska Driver’s License with three (3) years of driving experience and insurable under SVFD’s vehicle insurance policy.
- State of Alaska or IFSAC Firefighter 1
- Current BLS for Healthcare Providers certification
- Current State of Alaska EMT III certification.
- IS-100, IS-700 certificates
- Certified by a fire department to operate a fire apparatus (attack engine or tanker) for emergency response.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Associates degree in Paramedicine or related field
- Current AK-MICP license
- FADO Certification – Driver/Pumper Operator & Mobile Water Supply Operator.
- IFSAC Firefighter II
- Fire Instructor I
- IS-200, IS-300, IS-400, IS-800 certificates
- AHA BLS Instructor
- State of Alaska EMT Instructor
REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
Safety principles and practices of fire suppression and prevention. The safe use and maintenance of firefighting equipment and apparatus. Knowledge of Departmental Policies, Procedures, and Guidelines. Familiar with local geography, cold weather operations, and resources of the fire service area. Knowledgeable of patient care in rural environments.
Ability to: Operate all types of firefighting equipment and apparatus safely and to instruct others in such operations; establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with the public, peer agencies, and other employees. Employee shall maintain physical fitness commensurate to the duties required to perform physical tasks of entry firefighting, EMS emergencies, and training duties.
Skills: Communication, both written and verbal forms; ability to read maps; observation; firefighting techniques; application of advanced life support procedures and CPR.
- Department Operations, Training, Administrative, and Support.
- General Public
- Steese Fire Service Commissioners
- FNSB Staff
- Other area emergency services organizations
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
1. The employee shall be required to maintain physical fitness commensurate to the demands of structural firefighting, EMS emergencies, and training duties.
The individual must pass the department’s physical ability test annually.
2. The employee shall be required to cultivate a positive attitude and work ethic with members of this organization while performing the duties of the position.
3. Yearly performance evaluations will take place. The employee shall meet the expectations of the job.
4. All members with Steese Inc., whether volunteer or paid, are at-will. The Fire Chief may dismiss your membership at any time, for any reason, with or without notice. There are no contracts for membership for either paid or volunteer personnel.
5. There is no probationary period for volunteer or paid positions within the SteVolunteer Fire Department.
6. Certified to operate all department apparatus within six (6) months of hire date.
7. Achieve IS-200, IS-800 certificates within one (1) year of hire date.
8. Achieve Lead Medic status within three (3) months of hire date.
9. Achieve IFSAC Firefighter II certification within two (2) years of hire date.
10. Achieve Fire Instructor 1 certificate within two (2) years of hire date.
11. Fill in as “Acting Captain” when needed.