Have you made your career as an experienced Linux server administrator? The Department of Technology Services (DTS) with the State of Utah is looking for a career oriented Linux server administrator to come to work for us!
- Maintain and manage all aspects of Linux server maintenance from operating system installation to patching updates on a timely basis.
- Research and recommend innovative ways to automate system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Participate in and provide feedback and recommendations in developing standards and guidelines for server environments.
- Monitor production environment, tuning application servers to optimize performance, stabilizing and improving JVM performance by tuning the Heap Size, Garbage Collection policy, and connection pools.
- Provide infrastructure operations support and analysis to resolve production issues related to Application Servers and associated software products. Perform utilization and capacity analysis as needed.
The Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate will have experience as a Linux Server Administrator. They will also have a high level of expertise and broad experience in system administration and Hosting. In addition to supporting the server environment, this position will act as a technical lead for projects, tasks, incidents, and system architecture design. Also, this position will work under the direction of management and become a key team player in the hosting group.
There will be times when this position will be required to work extended hours and weekends to support the State's needs including an On-call rotation.
- experience with building and maintaining cloud solutions in AWS, GCP, and/or Azure
- DevOps principles and practices
- experience automating processes with at least one scripting language (Python, Powershell, Bash, etc.)
- DevOps and automation tools (e.g. Jenkins, Salt/Chef/Puppet/Ansible, Git, etc.
- experience with multiple Linux distros (mainly CentOS and Redhat)
- experience with multiple Windows Server Versions
- experience with TCP/IP Networking including troubleshooting
- install in-house, open source, and vendor-based software
- familiarity with Linux including experience with Apache, Tomcat, Weblogic, MySQL, MariaDB, PHP, installation and configurations
- file System management (LVM, Quota's, etc.) including NFS, and CIFS
- knowledge of Linux kernel configuration
- knowledge of load balancing technologies
- proven ability to quickly learn and implement unfamiliar technologies
- hands-on experience with scripting
- excellent project planning skills, highly organized, and the ability to complete high-level projects with little supervision and on time and under budget
- Employment contingent on passing a drug screening and a background check.
- Risks found in the typical office setting, which is adequately lighted, heated and ventilated, e.g., safe use of office equipment, avoiding trips and falls, observing fire regulations, etc.
- Work requires physical exertion. May require the ability to stand; walk over rough surfaces; bend, crouch, stoop, stretch, reach, lift moderately heavy items (up to 50 lbs.) in a recurring manner and/or for long periods of time.
Why join our team?
We host a variety of applications offering a challenging work environment and opportunity to work with the newest technology the State of Utah has acquired. Come work in a fast-paced ever changing environment. This is an opportunity to make a difference in the technology field, along with the satisfaction of helping the agency you serve. You will receive great health and retirement benefits, such as, generous paid time off so you can spend more time with your family and have a positive work life balance. Click here to view a summary of all the benefits we offer.
To learn more about The Department of Technology Services check us out Click here. The State's environment is a highly optimized blend of systems responsible for collecting, processing,and distributing millions of data elements every day. Our systems range from a high volume mainframe backend, through a broad set of web based customer facing applications.