Services Specialist 9/10/P11 Alpena County (Case Manager/ Investigator)
State of MichiganAlpena, MI
Posted: over a month ago
**This is an immediate vacancy and all qualified Applicants are encouraged to apply**
**Michigan Families need your help****......**
**JOB SUMMARY:** The Services Specialist will utilize child welfare practice skills to ensure children are protected from abuse and neglect. When child abuse or neglect is indicated, specialists work closely with families and the legal system toward a goal of reunification, independent living, or other permanent living situation.
**ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:**
* Assessing allegations of child abuse or neglect and taking necessary steps to protect children. This could mean removing a child from a family. * Developing working relationships with people who strongly dislike DHHS because of their personal history or the reputation of child protective agencies in general. * Learning about cultures, traditions, and lifestyles different from your own and developing cultural competencies to understand how to determine child safety and well-being within that context. Comprehending the impact of historical trauma, and observing protocols of differing cultures. * Maintaining objectivity and empathy for families living in stressful situations. * Preparing comprehensive and accurate court documents. Testifying in court, including defending your actions which will be questioned by defense attorneys and other parties to the case. * Working under deadlines that require prioritizing efforts with constant pressure created by the nature and volume of the cases, documentation and working flexible hours. * This position may be required to work evenings, weekends, and other non-standard work hours as needed and could be placed on a rotating on-call roster.
See complete position description here: Position Description
View the Job Specification
View the 13 minute video "Is This Job For Me?" at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gtBuckURPk&feature=youtu.be prior to applying for this position. Required Education and Experience
**_Education_** Possession of a bachelor's or master's degree with a major in one of the following human services areas: social work, sociology, psychology, forensic psychology, interdisciplinary studies in social science, education, community development, law enforcement, behavioral science, gerontology, special education, education of the emotionally disturbed, education of the gifted, family ecology, community services, family studies, family and/or child development, counseling psychology, criminal justice, human services, or in a human services-related counseling major.
Possession of a bachelor's degree in any major with at least 30 semester (45 term) credits in one or a combination of the following human services areas: social work, sociology, psychology, forensic psychology, interdisciplinary studies in social science, education, community development, law enforcement, behavioral science, gerontology, special education, education of the emotionally disturbed, education of the gifted, family ecology, community services, family studies, family and/or child development, counseling psychology, criminal justice, human services, or in a human services-related counseling major.
**_Experience_** *Services Specialist 9*
No specific type or amount is required.
*Services Specialist 10*
One year of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist 9.
*Services Specialist P11*
Two years of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist, including one year equivalent to a Services Specialist 10.
Additional Requirements and Information
**When you apply, your application is valid for 6 months. After 6 months, you MUST reapply for continued consideration.**
*This position is located in Alpena, MI, MI at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, 711 West Chisholm, Alpena, MI 49707.*
**_Why Alpena County?_**
* The county's population is 28,803 (2015) with a median income of $ $38,353 according to estimates by the US Census Bureau.
* Alpena County sits along Lake Huron's western coastline in the north eastern region of Michigan's Lower Peninsula, located along the 45th parallel.
* Art venues and institutions include the _Besser Museum for Northeast Michigan_, Alpena Symphony Orchestra, _Alpena Civic Theatre_, _Thunder Bay Theatre_, _Art in the Loft_, _Thunder Bay Arts Council Office and Gallery_, Bay View Park Bandshell and Granum Theatre.
* Other museums and historical sites include the Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center, Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary, and several unique, historic homes located in Alpena.
* Events include the _Michigan Brown Trout Festival_, _The Reel Fun Ice Fishing Tournament_, Concerts in the Park, _Thunder Bay Folk Festival_, XTerra Rockport Rugged Triathlon, _Alpena County Fair_, _Long Lake Lights Festival_ and Thunder Bay International Film Festival,
* Alpena has several fishing charter services for fishing in Thunder Bay and Lake Huron.
* Home to several inland lakes including Fletcher's Pond, Devil's Lake, Beaver Lake, Long Lake, Lake Besser and Lake Winyah.
* Recreational sporting venues include _Northern Lights Arena_ (skating and hockey), _Alpena County Plaza Pool_, Alpena Events Complex, _Arzo Sports and Fun Park_, _Alpena Golf Club_ and Alpena Sportsman's Club.
* The county has several trails for walking, hiking, snowmobiling, biking, snowshoeing, cross country skiing and jogging.
* Other local attractions include Rockport State Recreation Area, Dinosaur Gardens, Stevens Twin and Bruski sink holes.
* Local breweries, wineries, and agricultural producers and vendors include _Austin Brother's Beer Company_, _Stoney Acres Winery_, Alpena -Farmer's Market, Hubbard Lake farmer's market, _Thunder Bay Winery_, Green Road Gold Maple Syrup, and AJ's Garden & Produce Inc.
* Please visit http://www.visitalpena.com/ and www.**alpenacounty**.org for more information.
**PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS CAREFULLY**, **To be considered for this position you must:**
* Apply for this position online via NEOGOV; click on "Apply" in the job posting for instructions on submitting your electronic application. Hard copy applications are not accepted.
* __**-Attach no more than a 1 page written response to the following questions after viewing the video "Is this job for me?":**__ * __**If selected for this position what do you believe your biggest challenge will be? **__ * __**How do you see yourself overcoming this challenge? **__
* Attach a resume identifying specific experience and dates of employment. Dates of employment should include month and year and hours per week.
* Attach a cover letter.
* Attach a copy of an official transcript(s).** We accept scanned copies of official**** transcripts.**Please see the example below. We do not accept copies of unofficial transcripts. Official transcripts provide the name of the institution, confirmation that a degree was awarded and on what date, and the registrar's signature**. _Select this link to see an example of an official transcript._** * **As a Condition of Employment -**this position requires a valid driver's license and successful completion of a background investigation including fingerprinting and a criminal records check. * Applications will be screened on information provided on the application itself. Please include your resume and cover letter for additional consideration, but it will not be accepted as a substitution for a completed application. * During the online application process any additional documentation that is required must be attached from your master profile to the individual application. * Upon hire, the successful candidate will be required to complete a nine week pre-service training program that includes a total of 270 hours of competency-based classroom and field training. Additionally, the employee must successfully complete a minimum number of hours of in-service training on an annual basis. **YOUR APPLICATION FOR ANY POSITION DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU WILL BE** **CONTACTED BY THE DEPARTMENT/AGENCY FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION. ONLY** **THOSE** **APPLICANTS** **INTERVIEWED WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE RESULTS.
Failure to****complete** **any of the above items may result in your application being screened out.**
**DUE TO THE VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS RECEIVED BY THE DEPARTMENT, WE ARE UNABLE TO PROVIDE INFORMATION REGARDING THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION OVER THE PHONE.**