The DEED Programming team develops applications that make a difference for students and educators across Alaska. These applications consist of a variety of business applications, data submission tools, and tools for reporting information about education in Alaska to the public. If this sounds like work you want to be involved with, then we want to hear from you! We offer an exciting, professional, challenging working environment dedicated to providing effective user tools and support.
This position is flexibly staffed at the Analyst/Programmer I/II/III/IV levels. At the entry level (Analyst Programmer I) the incumbent will work under the close direction and guidance of the Department Technology Officer and the Analyst Programmer V to test, troubleshoot, and maintain business applications for the Department. These applications allow the Department to provide information to the public, certify teachers, provide school meals, track student data, and more. In addition, they will assist with updating and maintaining the department's website and data portals. As the incumbent's skills develop (Analyst Programmer II), they will be tasked with increasingly complex work, such as designing and writing applications with some guidance, creating ad-hoc queries to databases, and assisting in migrating existing applications into the current department standards.
Once the incumbent has reached the fully proficient level (Analyst/Programmer III), they will be responsible for gathering requirements and developing new systems under general guidance or independently. At the Analyst/Programmer III/IV levels, the incumbent will work independently on projects doing system analysis, gathering requirements, developing new applications, maintaining several DEED systems/applications, and performing code-review for other DEED systems. In addition, positions at the Analyst/Programmer IV level will assist in mentoring junior staff and helping them develop their skills.
Most of the applications that the DEED Programming team supports are web based. As the world has become increasingly mobile, DEED is working to ensure that appropriate DEED applications are well supported on mobile platforms. The primary programming environment is ASP.NET MVC with new applications being written using ASP.NET Core and C#. The database environment is Microsoft SQL Server.
Our ideal candidate will possess some or all of the following knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience:
- Experience in an IT environment that provides business solution development;
- Understanding of and experience with multiple, modern development frameworks and languages, such as ASP.NET Core, C#, Python, and Java;
- Understanding of and experience with the Microsoft .NET framework;
- Knowledge of relational database systems and querying using SQL (preferably T-SQL);
- Knowledge of the application development life cycle;
- Experience with version control systems/tools such as Git and SVN;
- Demonstrated experience analyzing complex problems, identifying their basic elements, and describing possible solutions;
- Ability to work and learn both independently and collaboratively;
- Strong customer service experience, including explaining technical information to a variety of stakeholders with varying skill levels;
- Demonstrated organizational and planning skills;
- Experience with security of confidential data;
- Ability to incorporate design and technology input from peers and supervisor; and
- Ability to bring a positive outlook and approach in the face of competing priorities and both temporary and long-term technology and policy constraints.
In addition to these skills and experience, at the fully proficient (Analyst/Programmer III and IV levels), the ideal candidate will possess:
- Proficiency in moderate to complex SQL queries and stored procedures;
- Proficiency with Microsoft IIS 7+ or other web servers; and
- Experience with applications similar to GitHub or Azure DevOps (Team Foundation Server)
BUSINESS WRITING SAMPLE
A cover letter is NOT required for this position. Instead, applicants must supply a business writing sample which follows the directions outlined in the "Additional Application Instructions" section below.
Successful completion of nine (9) semester hours of college level coursework in computer languages or system analysis.
Three months of actual computer programming experience.
One year of work experience using a computer for analysis, including experience in the use of computer reporting languages, spreadsheets or statistical packages.
One year of computer programming experience in a recognized computer language. One year of the experience must have been in a business application, scientific application, microcomputer or computer system user support specialty.
A Bachelor's degree with a major in Computer Science (CS) or Computer Information Systems (CIS), or a related degree with (18) semester/(24) quarter hours of CS or CIS may substitute for all of the required experience. An associate's degree in Computer Science or Computer Information Systems may substitute for nine months of the required experience.
Two years of computer programming experience in a recognized computer language. One year of this experience must have been in a business application, scientific application, microcomputer or computer information management support specialty.
A bachelor's degree with a major in Computer Science (CS) or Computer Information Systems (CIS) or a related degree with (18) semester/(24) quarter hours of CS or CIS may substitute for one year of the required experience. An associate's degree in Computer Science or Computer Information Systems may substitute for nine months of the required experience.
Individual positions at each level in this class series may require expertise in a particular area of programming or analysis. Recruitment and selection will be on the basis of these requirements.
For some positions in these job classes a background investigation including fingerprinting is required.FLEXIBLY STAFFED
This vacancy may be filled at either the I, II, III, or IV level depending on the applicant's training and/or experience. The full range of salaries is listed above. Starting salary will be determined by the level the position is hired at. If filled at the I, II, or III level, promotion to the n