Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
# **Job Summary:**
**This temporary position, for up to one year, exists to diagnose, repair, maintain and modify state-owned light, medium, and heavy equipment, and perform other duties as assigned.**
* Analyze, diagnose, repair and maintain light, medium and heavy trucks and equipment * Conduct preventive maintenance inspections on equipment * Perform skilled welding, fabrication, and repair of parts * Maintain records of time, materials, supplies * Use computer diagnostic equipment to troubleshoot problems * Use computer programs for entering work orders and work activities (M5, RCA) * Performs other duties as assigned
## **Minimum Qualifications:**
* Completion of Heavy Equipment Apprenticeship program or graduation from a two year Heavy Equipment Mechanic or related training program that includes: diagnosis and repair of engine, drive train, brakes, steering/suspension and hydraulics for heavy equipment, e.g. trucks, tractors, buses; training in electronics sufficient to make engine adjustments and diagnose problems; and training in the use of computerized testing equipment and/or onboard computers sufficient to diagnose problems and adjust the functions of components.
* Approximately 3 years of experience as a heavy equipment mechanic which includes: diagnosis, repair, maintenance and modification of both heavy-duty diesel trucks and equipment and gasoline powered vehicles; diagnosis and repair of engines, brakes, drive train, steering/suspension and hydraulics; use of electronics sufficient to make engine adjustments and diagnose problems; and the use of computerized testing equipment and/or onboard computers sufficient to diagnose problems and adjust the functions of components.
* Working knowledge of English sufficient to read, write, speak and understand oral and written information; communicate with employees and the general public in-person or via two-way radio and other electronic devices; and to maintain routine written logs and simple records. * Welding experience using modern techniques (i.e., arc and acetylene welding, plasma cutting, and wire feed (MIG) welding). * To be qualified, an AFSCME applicant must have documented satisfactory performance and no discipline on file. * Mechanic must supply standard list of personal hand tools and toolbox
The incumbent is required to be immediately accessible to a phone and be able to report to work within one (1) hour of being called.
The incumbent will be subject to drug and alcohol testing. New employees must pass a pre-placement drug test for evidence of use of marijuana, cocaine, opiates, phencyclidine (PCP) and amphetamines (MDMA, MDA and MDEA) and acetylmorphine (6-AM).
**License**: Minimum of a valid Class A or B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) permit at the time of hire with the ability to obtain a Class A Commercial Driver's License with no air brake restriction and tanker endorsement within 6 months of hire/placement.
* Valid Commercial Vehicle Inspectors Certificate * Air Conditioning Certification
A pre-placement physical examination is required for this position. The scope of the physical exam will be limited to whether the employee can safely and effectively perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, in compliance with state and federal law.
Job offers will be contingent on passing pre-employment drug screen, physical exam, criminal background, reference and driver's license checks.
## **Why Work For Us**
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
## **How to Apply**
Click "Apply" at the bottom of this page. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the job information line at 651.259.3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Harry Fitzgerald at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-366-3395.
* * *
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
MnDOT does not discriminate against qualified applicants with disabilities. Anyone who believes they may need a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate in the job application, interview or selection processes may contact any agency official with whom application has contact in the processing of their employment application to request an accommodation. Applicants may also contact the MnDOT Affirmative Action office to request an accommodation by: E-Mail: ADArequest.email@example.com; or by calling Janet Miller at 651/366-4720; or using MN Relay 711.
MnDOT's Reasonable Accommodation policy can be found at: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/policy/hr/hr009.html
*Job Title:* Temporary Heavy Equipment Mechanic
*Job ID:* 34746
*Full/Part Time:* Full-Time
*Who May Apply:* Open to all qualified job seekers
*Date Posted:* August 8, 2019
*Closing Date:* August 30, 2019
*Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit:* Minnesota Department of Transportation/AFSCME
*Hiring Agency:* Minnesota Department of Transportation/AFSCME
*Work Shift:* Spring/Summer: Monday - Thursday, 6:30 am - 5:00 pm, Fall/Winter: 7:00 am - 3:30 pm
*Work Hours:* Spring/Summer: Monday - Thursday, 6:30 am - 5:00 pm, Fall/Winter: 7:00 am - 3:30 pm
*Work Shift/Work Hours:* Spring/Summer: Monday - Thursday, 6:30 am - 5:00 pm, Fall/Winter: 7:00 am - 3:30 pm