# Job Summary
This position serves as the primary specialist responsible for developing and maintaining rates and payment policy for hospital health care program. The incumbent is a point person for interactions with the industry, legislative staff and other interested parties. This individual will provide high level problem solving and detailed analysis of program requirements to create methods of incorporation into the payment system in a manner that assures compliance with federal and state law.
- Lead the Department Human Services (DHS) rate setting activities relating to aggregate and hospital specific disproportionate share (DHS) payment levels.
- Determine the inpatient and outpatient hospital Medicare upper Payment Limits (UPL) state wide
- Manage supplemental payments to hospitals, physician practice groups and ambulance providers
- Manage the medical education payment (MERC) process in cooperation with the MN Department of Health
- Participate in communication of policies and procedures related to Supplemental payments, UPL, DSH, Intergovernmental transfers, Certified Public Expenditures and MERC
Three (3) years of specialized professional experience with health care programs demonstrating the following:
- Principles and procedures for setting payment rates
- Understanding of organization structures behind staffing, types of costs, and functions of hospitals
- Understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Monitoring, interpreting, applying and assessing policy and budget implications of interactive federal and state laws, rules and regulations
- Technical literacy and understanding of complex datasets with ability to fully utilize a variety of software to prepare statistical and payment reports and verify and analyze fiscal and auditor data.
- Understanding of and experience in applying the principles of and procedures for calculating disproportionate share payments and limits, upper payment limits, medical education payments, intergovernmental transfers, and certified public expenditures
- Master's degree in business, accounting, math or related field
- Knowledge of legislative process and procedures
- Understanding of federal and state laws and regulations governing state and federal health care
To facilitate proper crediting, please ensure that your resume clearly describes your experience in the areas listed and indicates the beginning and ending month and year for each job held.
REFERENCE/BACKGROUND CHECKS - The Department of Human Services will conduct reference checks to verify job-related credentials and criminal background check prior to appointment.
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
This position is located in Minnesota's great capital city, St. Paul. The State of Minnesota offers employees subsidies for public transportation allowing for convenient and easy access to commute to work. Ride the new METRO "Green Line" Light Rail Train to work! The 10th Street Station is located close by.
Our mission as an employer is to actively recruit, welcome and support a workforce, which is diverse and inclusive of people who are underrepresented in the development of state policies, programs and practices, so that we can support the success and growth of all people who call Minnesota home.
How to Apply
Click "Apply" at the bottom of the page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Susan Hammersten at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a Connect 700 applicant, please email your certificate to Daniel Thorp at email@example.com by the position close date.
If you are an individual with a disability and need an ADA accommodation for an interview, you may contact the Department of Human Services' ADA Coordinator at 651-431-4945 for assistance.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate what assistance you need.
Job Title: Supplemental Payment Rates Consultant - Human Services Program Consultant
Location: St. Paul
Job ID: 35054
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 08/21/2019
Closing Date: 09/03/2019
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Department of Human Services / Central Office
Hiring Agency: Department of Human Services / Central Office
Division/Unit: Health Care Administration / Purchasing & Service Delivery, Rates Implementation
Work Shift: Day shift
Work Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Days of Work: Monday - Friday
Travel Required: No
Salary Range: $29.18 - $43.28/hourly; $60,927 - $90,368/annually
Classified Status: Classified
Job Class: Human Services Program Consultant
Working Title: Supplemental Payment Rates Consultant