Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
# Job Summary
This position works an irregular and uncertain schedule that can begin, stop, and begin again as the agency needs.
This positionperforms routine public safety duties in accordance with established guidelines including patrolling assigned areas to ensure personal, building, and equipment security; warning violators of rule infractions; applying traffic and parking ordinances and laws; providing initial emergency response; completing required recordkeeping; and performing dispatch duties as needed. Job duties include, but are not limited to:
* Patrol MN Zoo facilities and grounds for security, emergency and safety incidents ensuring issues are responded to in a courteous and professional manner, resolved promptly or escalated to the appropriate resource, and the safety and security of the MN Zoo community is maintained. * Monitor security cameras of MN Zoo facilities and grounds for security, emergency and safety incidents ensuring issues are responded to in a courteous and professional manner, resolved promptly or escalated to the appropriate resource, and the safety and security of the MN Zoo community is maintained. * Provide training on and apply MN Zoo security and emergency policies and procedures, such as drug, alcohol, traffic and parking, special events, etc.; applicable city ordinances; and state and federal laws to ensure the public safety of the MN Zoo community. * Perform recordkeeping and reporting of security and safety incidents and required equipment and property inspections and maintenance ensuring equipment is operating appropriately and incident details or data is accurately captured in a timely manner or within required time frames. * Support victims and preserve and protect evidence so that incidents can be resolved in a timely manner or, if warranted, an investigation can be pursued. * Perform other duties as assigned to ensure the smooth functioning of the department and maintain the reputation of the organization as a viable business partner.
## Minimum Qualifications:
* Public Relations skills sufficient to effectively deal with the public, building tenants and visitors * Ability to follow oral and written directions sufficient to react quickly and appropriately in emergency situations * Ability to speak and read the English language sufficient to read and apply security procedures, write reports and deal with customers * Valid driver's license * Must pass driving and criminal background checks
## Preferred Qualifications:
* Two (2) years of experience as a Security Patrol Officer, Crime Prevention Officer, or Peace Officer. Associate's degree in Law Enforcement, Paralegal or related field may substitute for 1 year of experience; Bachelor's degree in above areas may substitute for 2 years of experience * Dispatching experience or experience with multi-line phone systems * Knowledge of applicable city ordinances, State of Minnesota and federal criminal and civil law * Knowledge of traffic control procedures and parking regulations * Knowledge of standard police practices including rules of evidence/chain of custody, citizen's arrest power, loss prevention techniques, intrusion alarms, detections, surveillance system and fire alarms * Written and oral communications skills sufficient to defuse conflicts and violent situations. * Knowledge of Right to Know, Occupation Safety (OSHA), hazardous materials and waste safety procedures * Knowledge of Data Privacy Act * Computer knowledge sufficient to work with IP Camera Systems, Networking, etc. * Ability to deal with diverse populations responding with sensitivity to their needs and concerns * Ability to resolve problems and make comprehensive decisions quickly and effectively * Ability to complete certification in ICS 100, ICS 200 and ICS 700 Incident Command courses within 6 months * Ability to become a Certified First Responder
## Physical Requirements
* Physical ability sufficient to apprehend suspects and restrain uncooperative individuals * Ability to walk grounds, run, bend, kneel, stoop, reach upward, climb ladders and stairs, move heavy objects * Ability to lift children and adults using appropriate body mechanics to chairs, cots, ambulances, etc.
## Additional Requirements
This position requires successful completion of the following:
* Employment verification checks, criminal background check including fingerprints, and driver's license.
## How to Apply
Click "Apply" at the bottom of the page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Roxanne Lane at email@example.com.
* * *
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate what assistance you need.
*Job Title:* Security Guard
*Location:* Apple Valley
*Job ID:* 35346
*Full/Part Time:* Intermittent
*Who May Apply:* Open to all qualified job seekers