# Job Summary
As the Housing and Support Manager, you are responsible for the program and policy requirements of a variety of supplemental income programs and grants to support integration into the community for aged or disabled adults, and homeless populations. Income supplement programs are: Housing Support, Minnesota Supplemental Assistance and General Assistance. This position also oversees the following grants and/or areas: Long-term Homelessness, Community Living Infrastructure, Real-time Housing, Research and Evaluation, Housing Access Services and the Medicaid Housing Stabilization Services funding, all of which fund over 50 grants with various non-profit organizations, for-profit organizations, counties and tribal nations.
You will be responsible for facilitating a statewide collaborative approach and working network of key cross-agency contributors to design and implement affordable community-based supportive housing options. You'll take a leadership role in forging partnerships with government agencies (counties, tribal nations, other state agencies and the federal government), non-governmental housing organizations and developers in order to increase community based housing and service options for DHS clientele. You will also participate in interagency and community workgroups that propose new ways to support the elderly, disabled, and people who are homeless. You'll be responsibe for also providing long-range vision, leadership and direction for studies and initiatives to create a continuum of community supports for people served by DHS programs.
- Providing leadership to staff in creating innovative community living programs and initiatives that involve both governmental and non-governmental agencies and resources to address special housing needs of the elderly, disabled, long-term homeless, and Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) families.
- Directing a team of income/supplement specialists to manage interagency and community workgroups identifying and developing community-based strategies to improve people's income and housing choices.
- Provide legislative experience and expertise to the development of strategy and legislation for budgets and programs addressing the basic income, and supportive housing needs of the elderly, disabled, HIV/AIDS, waiver recipients, mental health, and substance use disorder, MFIP families, and the homeless.
- Help strengthen the equity culture within the Housing and Support Services Division and DHS.
Supervisory or other leadership experience, OR completion of leadership development program (L4, Emerging Leaders Institute, Etc)
Five (5) years of professional human services or public assistance experience in grant management or policy programming demonstrating the following:
- Experience in the areas of homelessness, community supports, multi-family housing, and homeownership as well as regulated supportive housing;
- Effectively function in a highly visible, leadership position in an environment in which housing issues and other situations related to people in poverty, in particular, have highlighted media coverage and have explosive political potential;
- Strong oral and written communication to achieve desired results, such as raising public awareness, motivating stakeholders, or supporting a legislative proposal.
- Experience in bringing complex issues to resolution
- Experience understanding and managing budgets
- Experience writing reports
- Experience with the MN Department of Human Services Housing and supplemental income assistance program requirements.
- Three (3) years of supervisory or managerial experience.
- Experience working within county or state Human Service Housing program/policy areas.
- Experience with making presentations to large groups of people using current technology.
- Experience with strategic planning, coordination and execution sufficient to provide management, peers, and stakeholders' options that assist them in making sound decisions for their organizations.
- Ability to manage complex communications across a variety of organizations
- Ability to work independently using self-initiative and sound judgement
- Ability to present information while considering multiple perspectives and competing interests
To facilitate proper crediting, please ensure that your resume clearly describes your experience in the areas listed and indicates the beginning and ending month and year for each job held.
REFERENCE/BACKGROUND CHECKS - The Department of Human Services will conduct reference checks to verify job-related credentials and criminal background check prior to appointment.
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
How to Apply
Click "Apply" at the bottom of the page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Erin Sullivan-Sutton at email@example.com
If you are a Connect 700 applicant, please email your certificate to Zong Thao at firstname.lastname@example.org by the position close date.
If you are an individual with a disability and need an ADA accommodation for an interview, you may contact the Department of Human Services' ADA Coordinator at 651-431-4945 or DHS_ADA@state.mn.us for assistance.
- * *
- * *
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email email@example.com. Please indicate what assistance you need.
Job Title: Human Services Manager 2 - Housing and Support Services Manager
Location: St. Paul
Job ID: 35451
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 09/10/2019
Closing Date: 09/24/2019
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Human Services Dept / DHS Manager
Hiring Agency: Human Services Dept / DHS Manager
Division/Unit: DHS-Payroll / Community Housing Supports
Work Shift: Day Shift/
Work Hours: Day Shift/
Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift/
Days of Work: Mon - Fri
Travel Required: Yes -
Salary Range: $35.74 - $51.41/hourly; $74,625 - $107,344/annually
Classified Status: Classified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 220 - Manager/Unrep
Job Class: Human Services Manager 2
Working Title: Housing and Support Services Manager