# Job Summary
This position exists to promote public roadway safety by the administration of prescribed vision screening, knowledge, oral, road and skills tests for motor vehicle operators so that only qualified individuals obtain a Minnesota driver's license. This position is also responsible for inspecting motor vehicle dealership facilities and records to ensure compliance with state dealer laws, and to inspect motor vehicles for identification and titling purposes.
Major Job Duties for this Position:
Conduct all examinations necessary for the issuance of Minnesota driver's licenses and endorsements. Conduct motor vehicle dealer and VIN inspections as required. Also includes accepting various types of applications, accepting monies, issuing receipts, and taking photos for licenses. This position requires travel from one work location to another. Employee must provide transportation arrangements between locations.
1. Ability to communicate with others and understand information; read, write and respond to customers in fluent English.
2. Cashiering and basic math skills in order to collect, count, reconcile and complete daily transactions.
3. Experience providing in-person customer service in a high volume, stressful environment.
4. Ability to provide prompt, courteous and accurate information to customers on the phone or in person (face to face contact) and work cooperatively with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
5. Typing-Keyboarding skills.
6. Data entry skills sufficient to enter data onto paper forms and computer entry screens.
7. Experience with basic of office equipment and Internet.
8. Ability to pay close attention to detail.
9. Must qualify for an unrestricted driver's license.
10. Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather.
- As part of the interview process, candidates will be administered a 25 question, multiple choice exam on customer service skills, money handling, attention to detail and basic driving laws.
1. Face to face customer service experience in a business with high volume customer traffic within the last five years.
2. Cash handling experience sufficient to accept applications and fees from customers and accurately complete financial transactions.
3. Knowledge of basic driving and motor vehicle laws.
4. Ability to problem solve, prioritize and manage a wide variety of duties while working independently.
5. Foreign language skills.
6. Ability to write legibly sufficient to produce completed forms and documents that can be easily read by others.
7. Excellent attendance and dependability.
8. Ability to engage customers, provide clear instructions, answer questions and provide both positive and negative feedback in a professional manner.
9. Five (5) years of driving experience with a good driving record.
Employee must be able to communicate effectively with others and understand information clearly and have a minimum visual acuity of 20/40, corrected or uncorrected and a visual field greater than or equal to 105 degrees. Average to above average reflexes are required. Must be able to maintain a stationary position for long periods of time. Must be able to position self and move many times per day into and out of all sizes of motor vehicles. Must be able to transport 25 pounds. Must be able to maintain a professional demeanor and handle stress associated with continuous public contact.
It is the policy of the Department of Public Safety that all employees submit to a background investigation prior to employment, which includes the following components:
1) A criminal history check
2) Reference checks
3) Credit check
4) Fingerprinting (EDL)
5) Driver's License check
6) US Citizenship check
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
How to Apply
Click "Apply" at the bottom of the page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Caren Miller at email@example.com or 651/201-7373.
- * *
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities throughout the application and interview process. If you need alternative access to the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For accommodations or questions about accessibility specifically relating to this job announcement, please contact the Affirmative Action Division at 651-201-7136 or email email@example.com
Job Title: Driver & Dealer Examiner - DVS Exam & Inspection Specialist
Job ID: 35497
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 09/10/2019
Closing Date: 09/16/2019
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Department of Public Safety
Hiring Agency: Department of Public Safety
Division/Unit: Driver & Vehicle Services / Eagan Exam Station
Work Shift: Day Shift / 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Work Hours: Day Shift / 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift / 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Days of Work: Monday - Friday
Travel Required: Yes - Up to 25% of the time
Salary Range: $18.12 - $25.52/hourly; $37,834 - $53,285/annually
Classified Status: Classified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 207 - Technical/AFSCME
Work Area: Driver Services / Exam Stations
Job Class: Driver & Vehicle Services Examining & Inspection Specialist
Working Title: Driver & Dealer Examiner