Staples Construction is currently seeking a Construction Safety Specialist with extensive Cal OSHA experience. This position is responsible for the risk mitigation and safety efforts for all projects. The Safety Specialist will be responsible for overall administration of safety policies, procedures, and guidelines for all projects as well as safety training for all applicable personnel.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Provide training and education to all Company personnel and project stakeholders to promote a zero tolerance/zero injury culture of safety
- Facilitate pre-construction safety planning meetings to plan for potential hazards and problems prior to start of job
- Inspect jobsites to ensure adherence to Company safety program and OSHA compliance
- Develop evacuation plans and emergency response plans for projects
- Develop and product site specific safety plans as required for each project
- Arrange for basic first aid training for jobsite personnel
- Investigate and generate all incident and accident reports
- Provide updated information to employees regarding safety requirement changes (legal or otherwise)
- Identify and facilitate project management personnel needing assistance, training, or coaching to meet Company safety guidelines and goals
- Monitor and discuss safety programs and efforts with on-site subcontractors and Company employees, ensuring safety is part of our culture and that all new hires have proper safety documents and information
- Conduct documented safety and health inspections no less than twice per month, coordinating compliance reports with the Company’s insurance company
- Coordinate with project personnel so that necessary protective equipment and safety materials are utilized, adequate first aid materials are available and safety documents are posted on-site
- Investigate and analyze all injuries and property damage accidents; and, review all accident reports, coordinating corrective measures with Company employees and logging injuries/illnesses for OSHA purposes
- Minimize construction hazards and enforce safety policies utilizing the Company’s disciplinary policy
- Conduct/coordinate Project Safety "Toolbox" meetings with all Company employees on a weekly basis.
- Assist with weekly foremen’s and monthly superintendent’s safety meetings
- Record and forward copies of all safety related meetings, programs, safety pre-plans, inspections, correspondence, directives, citations, etc. to the General Superintendent for tracking
- Complete other responsibilities as assigned
MINIMUM SKILLS OR EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT:
- Bachelor's degree in related field preferred
- Must have a minimum of 10 years of experience in a safety capacity in the construction industry
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of Cal OSHA knowledge
- Ability to evaluate construction work activities with respect to safety and loss control
- Ability to recognize and analyze Company trends with respect to Company accidents
- Well-disciplined; ability to maintain detailed schedule servicing all Company divisions
- Excellent communication, organizational, decision-making and problem-solving skills required
- Ability to perform various safety functions on-site, including managing/administering safety orientations, overseeing substance abuse programs and investigating/reporting injuries/illnesses/incidents
- Ability to work with all project stakeholders: management, owners, trades and subcontractors
- OSHA 500 and OSHA 510 certification preferred
- CHST or CSP preferred
- Bilingual (English - Spanish) preferred
- Expert knowledge of Cal/OSHA occupational safety regulations
- Extensive and in-depth knowledge and ability to interpret and apply federal, state and local environmental regulations.
- Must wear approved Personal Protective Equipment when at construction site.
- Position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, and reaching in the performance of daily activities.
- Position requires near and far vision in reading written reports and work-related documents and acute hearing is required when providing phone and face to face service. Must be able to see in color and differentiate color.
- Will travel to designated project sites on a regular basis (weekly at a minimum).
- Required to work outdoors in all weather conditions including wet, hot and cold and be exposed to heavy dust and pollen.
- Travel will be required throughout California – 25% travel.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.