Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
The Geohazards and Geomorphology team at Stantec provides expertise in:
- Geomorphological mapping; building models of landforms, processes, hazards and risks and integrating models into engineering design, management and mitigation solutions
- Terrain assessments
- Landslide inventory mapping, probability of failure assessments, quantitative hazard and risk analyses
- Field mapping and investigations of slope and river hazards
- Interpretation of air photograph, satellite and LiDAR imagery
Your Key ResponsibilitiesThis individual will work closely with geotechnical engineering, pipeline integrity, survey and GIS teams. The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Geomorphological assessments.
- Terrain mapping and terrain stability mapping.
- Landslide and landslide hazard assessments.
- Fluvial assessments both field and office based.
- Crew leader for field planning and logistics.
- Safety during field operations.
- Conduct literature reviews.
- Report writing.
- Work with the team to prepare reports, studies, specifications, plans, and designs for projects.
- Keep Project Manager informed of workload and any changes in project scope or additional services.
- Keep accurate time records for billing purposes and submit them on a weekly basis.
- Help out in whatever duties are required to deliver a quality product on schedule.
- Travel associated with project work will be required, generally, short (5-10 days) interstate trips are not uncommon.
- Experience with field programs in Geomorphology and demonstrated ability to read and correctly interpret the geomorphological landscape.
- Demonstrated experience in geomorphological mapping and methods.
- Registered or qualified to register with the California Board of Professional Geologists, Land Surveyors, and Engineers, in a reasonable time.
- Familiarity with the geotechnical properties of soils or rocks.
- Familiarity with the Terrain Classification System for BC (Howes and Kenk, 1997).
- Familiarity with softcopy mapping (PurVIEW, DAT/EM Summit) preferred or strong background in air photograph interpretation.
- Knowledge of ArcGIS 10 (or higher) (requirement) and Global Mapper (preferred).
- Experience with other data sets such as LiDAR is a benefit.
- Willingness to travel and participate in remote field work and ability to adapt to unpredictable field conditions.
- Physically fit and able to endure hiking in rugged terrain.
- Strong communications and writing skills.
- Work effectively in a team environment.
- OSHA HAZWOPER 40 certification required or ability to obtain prior to employment.
- Must have a good driving record and valid driver's license.
- Prior to employment, this position will require the successful passing of a pre-employment physical and drug screen.
Bachelor's degree or M.Sc. in physical geography, engineering geology or related field with 3 to 5 years of work experience is preferred.
Office environment with prolonged sitting and computer work, or combination of office and field. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.