Funeral Home Transporter
St. Louis Cremation is a compassionate funeral home specializing in cremation. Our mission is to go beyond what is expected, providing a meaningful experience for every person in the community, treating everyone with the same compassion we do our own family members. To do that, we need people with a positive mindset, who are compassionate and able to work in a high paced, challenging, yet supportive environment. If that describes you, please submit your résumé, and tell us about yourself!
**Must have valid drivers license and clean driving record**
**Post offer, candidates will be require to pass a physical examination and drug screening**
Transport driver personnel report to the manager/assistant manager. Drivers will be required to transport deceased individuals to and from hospitals, homes, morgues, and funeral homes. Will require over night and weekend shifts.
- Transports deceased to a destination.
- Reports to work or a specific destination promptly and ready to work.
- Places deceased on stretcher and loads stretcher into removal van.
- Replaces supplies and disposable items in van, and changes equipment to maintain sanitary conditions
- Observation of all posted traffic signs, signals, and laws.
- Care for the deceased in a respectful manner while performing a variety of tasks which may include: transfers, lifting of deceased human remains.
- Complete all required documentation with respect to transportation process.
- Strict adherence to all professional, municipal, state and federal licensing authority regulations applicable to the operation of a vehicle.
- Promote a safe work environment by being aware of and practicing universal precautions and adopting general principles of safe conduct
- Complete and accurate preparation of all documents related to services, transportation, maintenance, and any other type of data entry
- Washing and cleaning of all vehicles and equipment as required from time to time as a promotional gesture
- Assist with the maintenance of vehicles, the facility and property; receive caskets and other funeral home supplies as well as place into inventory and carrying out any other responsibilities that may be reasonably delegated by management
- Answering phones, preparing reports as necessary and participating in staff meetings
- General housekeeping duties
- Any other duties as directed by management
- This position requires physical contact with the remains of the deceased
- This job is Nonexempt.
- Business Conduct - Demonstrating an acceptable standard of personal behavior and dress in the work place.
- Accuracy - Ensuring that all completed work is accurate and correct and on time.
- Customer Focus - Taking the time to understand the needs of others (both internal and external customers and families) and acting to do something helpful or to help solve their problems/issues
- Presentation - Communicating verbally in a clear and concise manner, both informally in small groups and in formal presentations
- Creativity/Innovation - Identifying and evaluating unique ways to improve the organization (cost reductions, use of resources, policies/procedures, products); generating useful new ideas, approaches or techniques.
- Relationship Building - Developing and maintaining a network of contacts, both inside and outside the organization, who may be able to supply information, assistance or support for the work-related goals. This includes building and maintaining friendly, warm relationships with people who are, or might be, helpful in achieving work-related goals.
- Initiative - Demonstrating self-motivation; effective performance is driven from within rather than being conditional on pressure from external factors (boss, peers, subordinates, deadlines, crisis)
- Ability to Learn -The ability to change communication style to fit an audience; the ability to take values, strategies or external issues and prepare plans; the ability to continue to upgrade required skills or keep current with changes in the business/legislation/technology
- Coordinating/Scheduling - Working with and gaining the co-operation of fellow employees who do not report to you (perhaps within a team); handling a heavy workload with changing priorities while still needing to meet set timetable(s)
- Negotiation - Demonstrating the ability to listen closely and show flexibility in verbal communication style and/or content with a customer, manager, peer or subordinate in order to influence their decisions in a positive way.
- Safety/Health Management - Acquiring and demonstrating knowledge of safety and health procedures as they relate to the human resources of the organization.
Experience and Educational Requirements
- Must have valid drivers license.
- Equivalent to high school education.
- Good driving record & must provide a driver’s abstract/license and insurable by our chosen insurance company’s standards
- Knowledge of computers and some software would be an asset, or willingness to learn
- Above average communication skills
- High level of compassion and integrity
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to multi task and set priorities
- Detail oriented
The job is frequently expected to lift, carry, push or pull objects weighing up to 150 lbs. (without the assistance of mobile, powered equipment).
Physical effort requiring manual dexterity is occasionally required (i.e., between 25% and 75% of time on the job).
Physical work pace and/or exertion bring on a limited amount of physical fatigue.
- Mental/ Sensory
On a daily basis, the work involves short to intermediate periods of non-interrupted mental/sensory attention (i.e., usually up to one (1) hour at a time, occasionally longer than one (1) hour), with ample opportunity for breaks in concentration during the course of the workday.
Some of these duties may involve long hours and need to be done on weekends, evening, nighttime and holidays. At times, some duties may require you to work outside in the cold weather or hot weather. Some duties may also require you be exposed to un-pleasantries associated with deceased human remains.
When considering the mental/emotional tension associated with this job the following factors may apply:
- The need to work overtime or to be called in before scheduled hours of work often cannot be anticipated.
- The job has minimal to no control over workflow or service demands.