Farmers Market Coordinator
St. Johns Center for Opportunity Portland, OR
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
- Help prepare the market for the season by doing projects such as moving equipment, cleaning the site, etc.
- Build and maintain positive vendor and customer relationships; accurately answer questions.
- Be welcoming to community members, customers, volunteers, vendors, potential vendors, etc.,
- Support the market’s accounting systems by collecting booth fees and managing payments to/from vendors and customers; notify ED of any past fees.
- Teach vendors how to accept market tokens from customers and how to submit for reimbursement.
- Coordinate set-up of market canopies, tables, signs, traffic control, and other market day items as well as clean-up of the market space before and after the market, including trash removal.
- Communicate space assignments to vendors: mark the stall spaces with chalk before the vendors arrive and resolve any disputes over space that may arise.
- Enforce market rules, state, county, and federal food safety guidelines, and other pertinent laws and regulations.
- Handle emergencies, complaints, and customer requests with patience and diplomacy.
- Maintain market grounds in a safe and inviting manner.
- Conduct customer counts each market day and periodic customer surveys.
- Ensure that all facilities, equipment, and utilities are in working order.
- Supervise the Farmers Market intern(s) who work with us over the course of the summer.
- Coordinate market day volunteers.
- Oversee the operation of the market's EBT program and cash transactions that occur in the Farmers Market Information Booth.
- Be informed about SNAP, WIC, and other supplemental nutrition programs.
- Support the statewide SNAP match initiative (Double Up Food Bucks) and help with reporting requirements.
- Regularly communicate Farmers Market happenings to other SJCO staff and ask for help when needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Experience working at events or in busy environments.
- Excellent verbal communications and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and proactively.
- Excellent arithmetic skills; aptitude and proficiency for making change, petty cash reconciliation, and basic math functions.
- Comfort and experience with technology, particularly POS systems and Google Forms.
- Enjoy working with and serving people of diverse economic backgrounds, ages, cultures, races, genders, sexualities, and experiences.
- Commitment to social justice, food security, and/or community development.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs, squatting, reaching, walk up to one mile, and move market equipment; comfort and preparation for working outdoors in varying weather conditions.
- Has a working phone.
- Bilingual/multilingual is strongly preferred, particularly in Spanish, but not required.
St. Johns Center for Opportunity
BusinessView all jobs at St. Johns Center for Opportunity