Perform Social Work and Crisis Mental Health services as a member of a mobile, community-based crisis intervention team providing services to youth and families in the community as a part of nationally recognized team. Settings include home, relative placements, school, foster home and adoptive resources, shelter care, group homes and other settings.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide psycho-social and AODA assessments to children and their families in crisis situations due to an emotional, behavioral or mental health problem; initiate request for required services, phone calls, agency information, etc.
- Provide crisis intervention services and crisis focused treatment to families until Follow-up services can be obtained for children and their families. Serve as a referral resource for families to obtain follow-up mental health services.
- Function as a member of a community-based mental health team in diagnostic formulation and implantation of stabilization services, short term crisis, immediate treatment techniques, strategies and plans for children, adolescents and their families.
- Coordinate services of the crisis team with community agencies and police, youth services, Childrens Court, schools, etc. to identify and obtain emergency resources and services for children and juveniles in a mental health crisis.
- Serve as a consultant to and provide liaison services with the case managers and other treatment staff in Wraparound Milwaukee.
- Respond to emergency phone calls and provide crisis interventions to help alleviate a mental health crisis and provide information about coordinated and additional resources to families and follow-up services.
- Work closely with MCBHD Psychiatric Crisis Service in assisting them in screening potential admissions and providing community based crisis service.
- Maintain records, reports, and legal documents.
- Arrange transportation, or transport if necessary, children needing to be placed in Emergency runaway shelter, foster care placement, respite care, PCS or other settings.
- Prepare reports required by the court, schools, Child Welfare, police agencies or other legal entities.
- Educate and train mental health professionals and para-professionals.
- Train and guide para-professional mental health aides, interns or assistants working with the crisis Team.
- Answer and respond timely to crisis calls in the community
- Assist Crisis Services by utilizing “Wraparound” program funds to purchase needed Community resources and services.
- Perform other duties as required.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Master’s degree in Social Work, Psychology or related field strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Psychology or related field required along with 5 years applicable experience with target population.
- Experience and state licensure strongly preferred.
- Bilingual is highly preferred.
- Substantial training and experience in mental health, particularly focusing on children and adolescents.
- Knowledge of Wraparound philosophy.
- Knowledge base of adolescent and family issues and dynamics.
- Knowledge of the Wisconsin Children’s Code and juvenile justice systems.
- Knowledge of human growth and development theories.
- Ability to prepare formal reports.
- Ability to display cultural competence by responding respectfully and effectively to people of all cultures, languages, classes, races, ethnic backgrounds, religions and other diversity factors in a manner that recognizes, affirms and values the worth of individuals, families and communities and protects and preserves the dignity of each.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Valid Wisconsin driver’s license and liability insurance.
- Ability to use vehicles for work related duties according to the agency’s insurance liability standards.
- Ability to accurately perform record keeping and documentation entries.
- Indoor/outdoor requirements.
- Local travel as required fulfilling essential functions of the position.
- Required to work on weekends as well as 1st and 2nd shift on rotation.
- Required to work 3rd shift as determined by the needs of the program.