- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
We are seeking an experienced and innovative Financial Director for St. Mark Lutheran Church and Our World for Children (OWC) in Battle Creek, MI.
St. Mark Lutheran Church passionately shares the grace and truth of Jesus in Battle Creek, MI. We are a collaborative and dedicated team with a flexible working environment.
Our World for Children is a partner ministry of St. Mark, providing exceptional care for over 200 children, aged 6 weeks-Junior Kindergarten, to help families to form a firm faith foundation for their children.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge and experience in organizational financial management, a proactive leadership style, a collaborative spirit, and a dedication to the overall mission, vision, and values of St. Mark and Our World for Children.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- a sincere Christian faith & lifestyle.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration OR 10 years of working experience equivalent.
- Five to ten years of experience in finance management.
- Ability to budget time and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency with computers and financial management software (i.e. Quickbooks/Paychex/Excel).
- Desire to work as part of a team.
- Discretion in dealing with confidential information.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Professional approach and high ethical demeanor.
- Support the values, vision, and mission of St. Mark and the leadership of the Senior Pastor.
- Communicate and collaborate with the Senior Pastor regarding the vision of St. Mark and any future projects, especially with regard to facility improvements or expansion, additional staffing, or major program development.
- Recruit, resource, and oversee volunteers who will assist with the financial health and operations of St. Mark and OWC.
- Serve as a member on any finance team formed by the Treasurer
- Serve as an ex-officio member of the St. Mark Council.
The Finance Director is responsible for the following tasks. While some of these tasks can be accomplished with the support of approved volunteers, the responsibility for oversight and completion belongs to the Finance Director.
- Assure that all obligations are paid and recorded properly.
- Complete monthly financial summaries and analysis and present results to the Senior Pastor, Budget Owners, any finance teams, and the St. Mark Council.
- Consistently review expenses and upcoming contract obligations to ensure that the best possible rates are in place. This includes obtaining additional proposals and negotiating with the vendors as necessary.
- Assure that the appropriate financial policies and procedures are optimized and properly followed.
- Assist the staff of St. Mark and OWC to operate within the annual budget. (This could include directing spending to stop in cases of financial shortfall, or advising additional spending in times of financial excess.)
- Ensure that proper accounting procedures are implemented and followed by all staff members, volunteers, and ministry teams.
- Record income from all entities and fundraising initiatives (either at St. Mark, Our World for Children.)
- Accumulate hours and prepare payroll for processing by the payroll company.
- Ensure distribution of electronic or hard copy paychecks to staff members.
- Prepare applications for credit and loans for operational and capital expenses with the approval of the St. Mark Council or at the direction of the St. Mark Voters’ Assembly.
- Accurately record any income generating grants, matching programs, fundraisers or capital campaigns.
- Serve as the point person for information concerning staff member payroll and benefits.
- Work with Senior Pastor to implement giving systems and strategies for the congregation.
- Oversee the formulation of the St. Mark and OWC annual budget in cooperation with the Senior Pastor, Budget Owners, Staff, Treasurer and St. Mark Council.
- Working with the Senior Pastor, Budget Owners and Treasurer, prepare the annual budget for review by any finance teams and the approval by the St. Mark Council and Annual Voters’ Assembly.
- Maintain relationships with financial institutions, insurance agents, and investment counselors for the purpose of fund management and asset protection.
- Examine operating costs, income, and expenditures of all entities on a monthly basis.
- Report any irregularities to the Senior Pastor, Treasurer, appropriate finance teams, Budget Owners, and the St. Mark Council.
- Oversee a self-review of our financial policies and procedures annually.
- Perform a test of transactions every other year. (As recommended by our CPA)
St Mark Lutheran Church
114 Minges Rd. E Battle CreekBattle Creek, MI
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at St Mark Lutheran Church