Innovative K-6 Teacher with STEM Passion
We are looking for an innovative K-6 educator to create, curate, and teach a custom curriculum individualized to each student’s passions, interests, and aptitude. Do you have a knack for science and math? Do you have the drive to create the best elementary experience for accelerated learners? What would you do if you could break all the rules?
Our approach is to figure out the best possible educational experience first, then work to decide what’s practical. Is the best way to learn about whales to read about them, then go on a whale watching tour, and then a museum, then review and advance? Let’s start there.
You get a $500 per student per month enrichment budget to be used for field trips, visiting experts, and helping students find and pursue their passions, etc.
“What is going to really resonate with these kids? What’s going to take them to the next level?” When you get that “a-ha!”, you’ll have the resources and flexibility to just do it. Your passion and creativity are your only limits.
The ultimate goal is to teach the students to be self-directed, self-sufficient learners. To help them discover their passions, and to teach them that anything they want to do or achieve, they can teach to themselves.
So, here’s the deal: the students are our kids -- two boys, 7 and 9. So, it’s kind of like a home school in that there’s a *lot* of flexibility and a very small class size. But, there’s also a separate 5,000 sqft school on an acre of land (that’s not our house). We have chickens, a full ceramics studio, 3-D printers, robotics labs, a rock climbing wall - lots of cool stuff. You’ll have at least one teaching assistant and a cleaning crew.
Sidenote: we’re not religious. So, it’s also like a secular K-6 private school with no bureaucracy and no limits on what you can achieve. You’ll also have access to great employment benefits and financial stability underwritten by the 14 year old software company that we own.
Focus: Our boys are both high aptitude enthusiastic learners 1-4 grade levels ahead in all subjects. STEM and problem solving are their broad areas of passion, so it’s important to us that you are also passionate and have expertise in those areas. We’d like to maintain an accelerated baseline pace while adapting the curriculum to their interests, so the learning is a natural pursuit.
- Flexible, family-friendly schedule - we don’t plan to start the day until 10AM. The school week will almost certainly not add up to a full 40 hours.
- Get out of the classroom often -- and with class sizes this small, field trips are easy. Did I mention there’s $1000/mo budget?
- Virtually unlimited budget for teaching tools and classroom supplies.
- Small class of really well-behaved children -- if we do say so ourselves. But seriously, they’re model students.
- Experiment and be creative. Staying one step ahead of these guys is a fun challenge.
- Extremely competitive salary ($40k - $65k/yr DOE)
- 401(k) with 4% employer matching.
- Full healthcare.
- Choose your own title. Weird benefit, right? But, you’re just as much a Principal of this school as you are the teacher. If it helps your career, we’re happy to help. Or if you just always wanted your official title to be “Lord Commander of the Seven Armies”...
- Bachelor’s degree
- Passion for STEM subjects
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- An entrepreneurial willingness to “make-things-happen” and “get things done”.
- Computer and Internet fluency
- A driving record without a lot of recent accidents
- Willingness to organize events, extracurricular and after-school activities, etc.
- STEM background, B.S. or M.S. or experience.
- Gifted and talented education background
- Experience adapting or selecting curricula.
- Special talents - Music, Foreign Language, Art, Cooking, Sports