- Posted: January 13, 2023
- Department: Business Support
- Internal Job Title: Financial Manager
- Reports To: Global Finance Director
- Country and Location: U.S. Charlotte, NC
- Employment Type: Full time
- Line Management Responsibility: No
The Sporting News (TSN) is the oldest sporting publication in the United States. Initially the essential source for baseball, TSN has evolved into a global product famous for US Sports and boxing with a strategy to accelerate growth into new markets and sports. Acquired by an international investment group, with deep sports, media, and gaming experience, TSN has big ambitions to become the leading global digital sports media business, underpinned by the huge growth of the US market and future opportunities related to gaming and Web3.
ABOUT YOUR NEW ROLE
As Finance Manager, you will be key in developing, documenting, and running the growing finance function of Sporting News globally, with a specific focus on North America. The function is in its infancy and requires someone with a strong accounting / audit background to oversee the function from an accounting, tax, audit, and finance policy perspective. Given the size of the business and the finance team, we need a strong all-rounder who is happy to complete a wide range of tasks from rather basic to complex.
We are looking for someone who is keen to join a small, but rapidly growing, business with massive growth plans. This is a chance to join a small finance team from the start and be influential not only in building out the function, but the wider business. You will have exposure to key senior managers from day one and work in an exciting, rapidly changing industry.
This role is based in our Charlotte, NC office and has the ability to work remote when needed. Some travel will be required with this role.
HERE'S A BREAKDOWN OF WHAT YOU'LL (PRIMARILY) DO
- Provide monthly reporting
- Develop finance policies and procedures including documentation
- Manage overseas Finance team on AP/AR process
- Execute and oversee banking, reconciliation, and cash flow
- Budgeting and forecast
- Oversee the annual audit
- Liaise with accountants in all regions on tax and compliance matters
- Commercial ad-hoc reporting and analysis
- Oversee 3rd party agreements and reporting requirements
DO YOU HAVE THESE ESSENTIALS?
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Business Administration
- Five years or more of related experience
- Excellent excel skills
- Self-starter who can manage working across multiple time-zones
- Budgeting, forecasting and analysis experience
- Knowledge of audit requirements and accounting standards
- Some knowledge of US tax requirements
- Proficient in Xero or similar accounting software
- Some knowledge of Salesforce or similar CRM system
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software
NOT ESSENTIAL BUT GREAT IF YOU ALSO HAD
- Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designation preferred
- An interest in Sport and/or media is helpful
You'll receive up to 15 days of paid annual leave (from the start), 10 paid sick days, and 10 paid holidays, affordable health benefits (dental and vision included), generous sick time package, competitive parental leave, short and long-term disability paid by the company, basic life term insurance and personal accident insurance paid by the company, 401(k) and flexible work environment.
ABOUT SPORTING NEWS, THE COMPANY
The underlying ethos of Sporting News is positivity and passion for sports. To help drive those tenets, we have three core objectives:
- Create the best media experience for sports fans. Wherever you are in the world, whatever device you choose, we want Sporting News to offer the best fan experience possible through the creation of quality, interesting content.
- Develop a work experience that people want to be part of. We want to identify talented, motivated staff who work hard, enjoy their job, support their team... and have fun while doing it.
- Build a fantastic, growing business. We want to deliver for our brand and our partners while achieving our commercial goals, ultimately using our scale for good.
Sporting News, we celebrate the diversity of our employees and our leadership. Sporting News is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
ABOUT SPORTING NEWS, THE BRAND
One of the world's most iconic sports brands, The Sporting News was founded in 1886 as a weekly U.S. newspaper. Later transitioning to a magazine, it became the dominant sports publication, acquiring nicknames like "The Nation's Oldest & Finest Sports Paper" and "The Bible of Baseball."
Sporting News is now a dynamic digital publisher offering a trusted perspective across multiple sports and topics all over the world. It features localized editions in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, U.K., Australia, India, Japan, Spain, and Argentina, with more territories and languages across the world.
TIMELESS & CRAFTED. No publisher has the heritage of The Sporting News (TSN). Established in 1886, it became the essential source for baseball and boxing content.
IMAGINATIVE & SCALABLE. Fast forward to today, TSN now covers all major sports worldwide with 15 local editions, leveraging a global network that understands local market nuance.
RELIABLE & RELATABLE. With a historic, trusted brand and unprecedented local media knowledge, TSN will be the leading international sports portal for right holders, gaming partners, advertisers, broadcasters ... and most importantly, fans.
Acquired by an international investment group in 2021 with deep sports, media and gaming experience, TSN is poised to become the first truly global digital sports media platform business.
Finance and Insurance
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?