Job Title: PARATRANSIT OPERATOR
Reports To: DIRECTOR OF TRANSPORTATION
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Applicants must have a valid Chauffeur’s Driver's License for job consideration.
- Safely operates transit vehicles in revenue service according to the State of Louisiana traffic regulations, transporting passengers over pre-determined city routes and/or daily manifest according to required time schedule.
- Collects and counts passenger fares and verifies valid passes and identification cards.
- Conduct ridership surveys, reports bus stop and bus shelter problems, pre and post vehicle inspections, delays due to accidents, street closures, and passenger misconduct incidents.
- Operates other transit vehicle related equipment including wheelchair lifts, ramps and two way radio systems to safely transport passengers with physical, emotional, or developmental disabilities in a courteous and professional manner.
- Adhere to company policies and procedures and applicable ADA requirements.
- Enforce company policies regulating passenger conduct.
DESIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Familiar with Shreveport-Bossier area
- Previous driving experience as a Paratransit Driver
- Skilled in safe driving practices and good public relations.
- Ability to communicate effectively both oral and written including presentation abilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective and cooperative working relationship with co-workers, supervisors, other company employees, city officials and the general public using courtesy, tact, and good judgment.
- Ability to deal with difficult situations and understand the views and concerns of others.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a diverse workforce.
- Ability to work in varying weather conditions.
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices within 60 days of employment.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- MUST be available to work varying shifts to include days, nights, weekends and holidays.
- MUST be able to pass physical agility tests with no limitations on upper or lower back.
- MUST be able to walk, kneel, bend, push and/or pull to complete moderate to heavy lifting when necessary to perform the essential functions of the position.
- MUST be available to work the extra board six days per week after successful completion of orientation and training.
Following a 6-month probationary period, successful candidate must be able to perform all essential duties satisfactorily with minimum supervision.
All positions are Safety Sensitive and require pre-employment drug testing; background checks; clean driving records and applicants must be able to work flexible shifts.
Require that applicants have no more than two (2) moving violations in the past five years and no convictions of a serious traffic violation (i.e., DWI, driving with a suspended, canceled or revoked license) in the past five years.
SporTran provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, SporTran complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfers, leaves of absence, compensation and training.