Sewing Operations Specialist
Spoonflower, Inc Durham, NC
- Posted: over a month ago
- $15 Hourly
- Benefits: medical, vision, 401k, dental, life insurance,
Spoonflower’s mission is to inspire individuals to make, buy and sell unique products built around color and pattern. Our e-commerce website makes it possible for individuals to create, sell, and shop for unique fabrics, wallpaper and home decor, such as bedding and table linens. Many of the designers who use Spoonflower to create products also use it to sell their artwork, making Spoonflower the world’s largest marketplace of surface designs. The community of designers and shoppers who make up Spoonflower is central to what we do. Our goal is to continue to expand the reach of Spoonflower’s services internationally, and, more generally, to expand the opportunities available for individuals to express themselves through color, pattern and personalization. At Spoonflower, creativity, customer-focus, resourcefulness, authenticity, fun and trust are the core values of our workplace. Our team is full of creative, multitalented individuals who embody -- like our customers -- a DIY ethic and an embrace of hard work. We offer team members competitive benefits, support of continuing education, the chance to learn new skills and to move within the company, and a dynamic and flexible company culture.
The role of the Sewing Specialist is to join the Operations team in serving Spoonflower’s community of designers, fabric lovers, and creative customers with a specific role in sewing the home decor products that are sold on Spoonflower websites. This position may assist with basic floor operations at Spoonflower: cutting fabric, packing and preparing complete orders, and shipping, but their main responsibility is sewing home decor products with a focus on quality and efficiency. The Operations Sewing Specialist reports to the supervisor on their shift, and to the Sewing Operations Manager.
- Cutting and marking fabric to prepare orders to be sewn.
- Operating industrial sewing machines and other equipment safely and productively.
- Sewing products in a timely and efficient way, so as to meet company goals, production needs, and customer expectations.
- Sewing products with high quality and consistency.
- Quickly learning how to sew new products that may be introduced to production.
- Other Floor Operations tasks at Spoonflower as may be needed, such as using Spoonflower’s computer admin system, and using shipping software to ship finished orders to customers.
- Other projects and responsibilities may be added at the company’s discretion.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Communication: Communicate efficiently, effectively, and through the proper channels, to teammates and colleagues about orders, tasks, and information. Communicate effectively with supervisors and managers, to give and take feedback, and to report any problems or issues. Written communications should employ a college standard of grammar, spelling, and composition.
- Problem Solving: Proactively identify and help resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully.
- Customer Service: Respect the customer in every way by committing to provide the customer with a high-quality product in a timely manner. Also, communication about and to customers is done with respect.
- Planning, Organizing, and Time Management: Prioritize and plan work activities and use time efficiently. Efficiently schedule appointments and manage personal time to assure maximum productivity.
- Quality Control: Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness, and monitor own work to ensure quality and apply feedback to improve performance.
- Productivity: Meet productivity standards and complete work in a timely manner.
- Adaptability: Adapt to frequent changes in the work environment, effectively balance competing demands. Dependability: Consistently at work and on time, honest in all dealings, follow instructions, respond to management direction and solicit feedback to improve performance.
- Teamwork: Participating in goals and company initiatives with a helpful solution-oriented attitude.
- Safety and Security: Observe safety and security procedures and operate equipment and tools properly. Model safe practices at every step.
- Professionalism: Establish and maintain a positive working relationship with colleagues. Maturely resolve any differences.
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
Education and Training Requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Basic computer literacy for the operation of our internal and shipping software, and admin functions using Ipads and computers.
- Extensive experience with sewing.
- Ability to achieve a level of sewing that meets Spoonflower’s quality and production standards.
- Because Spoonflower runs with 24-hour operations, employees are required to work the schedule agreed upon with their supervisor, which may be during 2nd or 3rd shift hours and which may include weekends.
- Employees must be able to flex up and work more hours during times of heavy order flow, or flex down and work fewer hours during slow business periods.
- Employees must be timely, arriving promptly for their shifts, and not leaving before their shift is complete without approval from a supervisor.
What can we offer you?
- $15/hour with room to grow as your skills increase
- 100% company paid medical premiums for you and your family
- 93% of qualifying medical expenses covered by the company
- 401K with a 4% company match
- 120 hours of PTO a year
- 88 hours of flexible holiday pay
- $75 Monthly Creativity Benefit
If you're interested in joining Spoonflower, please send a cover letter, telling us what inspires you about Spoonflower and why you think you are perfect for our team. We are as interested in knowing who you are as we are in knowing what you can do. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Include in your letter a URL for any/all your online material that you would like to share with us, including resume, blog, or portfolio of work.
We have a trove of talented individuals in the Durham and RTP areas. Therefore, only local candidates will be considered.
We look forward to hearing from you!
To all agencies: Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of Spoonflower, Inc. about this job posting. All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any employee at Spoonflower, Inc. via-email, the internet or in any form and/or method will be deemed the sole property of Spoonflower, Inc. unless such search firms/employment agencies were engaged by Spoonflower, Inc. for this requisition and a valid agreement with Spoonflower, Inc. is in place. In the event a candidate who was submitted outside of the Spoonflower, Inc. agency engagement process is hired, no fee or payment of any kind will be paid.
To qualify for employment at Spoonflower, Inc., applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status. Spoonflower is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, protected veteran or military status, genetic information, or any legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulation or ordinances.
3871 S Alston AveDurham, NC
ManufacturingView all jobs at Spoonflower, Inc