United States of America
Manufacturing and Operations
The Operations Intern position is intended to give college students practical experience in retail operations within Speedway's gasoline/convenience stores and to expose them to the variety of careers available within the retail industry.
This is an innovative and demanding program offering highly motivated students the opportunity to refine their skills and gain new experiences in working with groups, understanding business metrics, and making a presentation to upper management. The intern has the opportunity to make a real difference by completing a group project and giving assessments of our company programs. The intern will also spend a large amount of time in the stores running register, checking in vendors, learning store operations and management duties, and will have an opportunity to actually manage the business for a few weeks.
After completion of the Intern program, and upon graduation, outstanding performers will have an opportunity to begin a career with Speedway by entering into the District Manager Trainee program or Co-Manager Trainee program.
Schedule Summary Sample (10 Week Program, Up to 45 Hours per week)
- Orientation at Corporate Headquarters
- Company History
- Team Intern Project Assigned
- Introduction to Executive Management
- Weeks 1-5 a In Store Assignment
- Computer and Hands on Training
- Cash Register operation
- Store Operations
- Management duties and "Manage" the Store
- Weeks 7 & 8 a Time spent with HR, Recruiting, Merchandising, and Inventory Managers
- Week 9 a Ride with District Manager
- Week 10 at Corp. Headquartersa Complete Project/Evaluations/Presentations/Graduation
Requirements for Consideration
- Must be between Junior and Senior year of College
- Must have a Business related major
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.00
- Must have a demonstrated interest in retail operations as a career