POSITION TITLE: DIRECTOR OF PROGRAM – Unified Sports and Community Outreach
REPORTS TO: Senior Director of Program-Unified Sports
This position is primarily responsible for growth of SO New York City Region Special Olympics Unified Champion Schools®, a program for schools Pre-K through university that intentionally promotes meaningful social inclusion by bringing together students with and without intellectual disabilities to create accepting school environments, utilizing three interconnected components: Special Olympics Unified Sports®, inclusive youth leadership, and whole school engagement. The position is responsible for the implementation of these three components into a comprehensive program that serves the social emotional development of all students in participating NYC schools, as well as connecting and promoting Unified Sports into community programming. Partnering with the school district leadership, school administrators and community education and recreation partners will be critical to the success and growth of this initiative.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT: Bachelor Degree from an accredited college/university in Physical Education, Sports Management, Recreation, Education, Special Education, a related field or equivalent is desired. 1 to 3 years of experience. A background in leadership, supervision or management is essential. 1 to 3 years of experience working or volunteering in in Special Olympics, Unified Sports, Unified Champion Schools or comparable inclusive programming is required.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with volunteers, professionals, and business people from various socio/economic backgrounds.
- A thorough understanding of the structure, function and mission of Special Olympics New York, including sports training, competition and program at the local, regional, state and national levels are required.
- Proven performer in administration, management, paid and/or volunteer staff supervision, program planning and program evaluation.
- Operating knowledge of the budgeting process, fund-raising and public relations are essential.
- Advanced computer, clerical and organizational skills necessary.
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for leading, coordinating and monitoring all community outreach and strategic partnership development related activities associated with Unified Champion Schools and Unified Sports in New York City. This includes project management, program development, outreach and administration of all related functions including; grant administration, special partnerships, communication, education, youth development, recruitment and safety as they are relevant to Special Olympic athletes, students, volunteers and partners.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Program Planning and Implementation:
· Implement and monitor all program related operational procedures including regular accounting, grant management, annual budgeting and planning process.
· Build, structure and monitor all program outreach and strategic partnership development related to Unified Champion Schools and Unified Sports.
· Develop, coordinate and monitor all Special Olympics activities associated with community outreach and partnership development related to Unified Champion Schools and Unified Sports.
· Responsible for adherence to all program related SONY minimum standards.
· Act as the knowledgeable authority on matters related sports training, athletic competition, coach education, education partnerships and youth leadership development.
· Oversee public relations and marketing efforts related to Unified Champion Schools, Unified Sports and all other aspects of Special Olympics inclusive messaging.
· Ensure the program is in compliance with all regulations, general rules and policy originating from SONY, Inc., Special Olympics International and other 501 (c) 3 governing bodies.
· Facilitate the development & cultivation of relationships, funds, sponsors and in-kind resources.
· Inclusion, Unified Sports and the Unified Champion Schools programming are present and prioritized in the foundation of our core elemental movement, found embedded in our seasonal and annual calendar, and activity. All program staff members hold responsibilities collaterally and fundamentally for inclusive mission and the Unified programming.
· Supervise volunteers, mid level program staff and administrative assistants as needed. Develop and oversee proper and appropriate program related management controls.
· Delegate authority and share major responsibilities with volunteers and assigned staff to achieve organizational goals.
· Maintain working relationships with sponsors, organizations and other related National, State, County and local organizations/groups.
In addition to the responsibilities identified above, may be requested or required to perform other duties and/or responsibilities, by management on a non regular basis.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Position requires working both standing and sitting. Must be able to lift and carry light loads (5-30 pounds for short distances, approximately one block).
FLEXIBLE HOURS: Occasional travel and weekend/evening duties are required.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Special Olympics New York, Inc. at email@example.com. Please reference job code “NYCDPUS” in subject line. No phone calls please.