Under limited supervision, directs, plans, manages, and oversees the construction activities and functions associated with the collection and distribution systems and provides project management for Capital Improvement Plan (CIP), asset management, highway projects, special projects, etc. Ensures compliance with all applicable policies, procedures, standards and regulations. Performs highly responsible administrative, technical, and supervisory duties in the areas of construction activities, project management, and other system operations. Plans short and long-term construction schedules. Reports to the Asset Engineering Manager.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Directs, plans, manages, and oversees construction activities, Distribution SCADA, and Collection System monitoring functions associated with the collection and distribution systems. Performs highly responsible administrative, technical, and supervisory duties in the areas of collection and distribution construction activities, project management, distribution SCADA and collection system monitoring and operations; plans short and long-term construction schedules and preventive and corrective measures associated with distribution and collection remote above ground facilities. Exercises delegated authority and judgment regarding system operations including critical decisions or possible after hour emergencies.
2. Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned exempt and non-exempt staff, processing employee concerns and problems, counseling, disciplining, and completing employee performance appraisals and the coordination of training activities.
3. Coordinates work activities; organizes, prioritizes, and assigns work; monitors all construction and above ground maintenance duties and activities and enforces production and quality standards; monitors status of work in progress and inspects completed work; confers with assigned staff, assists with complex/problem situations, and provides technical expertise. Directs work as required to execute work assignments pertaining to the installation, maintenance and/or repair of collection and/or distribution system infrastructure.
4. In conjunction with the Asset Engineering Manager plans, schedules, and manages the Capital Improvement and Asset Management Programs associated with the construction and/or rehabilitation of current and future infrastructure associated with the collection and distribution systems. Oversees multi-construction projects with budget responsibility utilizing the PMIT process. Manages each project to successful completion, controlling project cost and schedule.
5. Utilizes the hydraulic models associated with the collection and distribution systems, utilizes modeling results to determine the appropriate sizing for distribution system projects, taking into consideration future growth, fire protection, and water quality, and determines appropriate sizing for collection system projects taking into consideration capacity and flow characteristics.
6. Ensures compliance with all applicable Federal, State and local codes, laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures and that the various functions are performed and completed in compliance with those standards. Initiates any actions necessary to correct deviations or violations associated with collection and distribution system construction activities to ensure conformance with established policies, procedures, and standards.
7. Ensures various construction and above ground maintenance operations are performed and completed in compliance with established standards and timetables; monitors the operations associated with the construction of all below ground collection and distribution systems, facilities, and appurtenances.
8. Receives and responds to customer complaints, questions and concerns pertaining to collection and distribution construction activities.
9. Responds as needed and ensures twenty-four hour response for non-routine conditions or emergencies for related to Distribution and Collection System remote facilities.
10. Maintains an awareness of new products, technologies, trends, and advances in the profession; reads professional manuals and publications to increase knowledge of construction operations; attends conferences, workshops, and training sessions as appropriate.
11. Receives, reviews, prepares, and/or processes a variety of documents, including, but not limited to, PMIT Tools, Vehicle GPS reports, operational reports, accident reports, requisitions, training materials, budget/financial documents, job applications, performance reviews, memos, correspondence, etc.
12. Interacts and communicates with immediate supervisor, other department managers, co-workers, subordinates, other utilities, vendors, customers, regulatory agencies, engineers, chemists, news media, school and civic organizations, and the general public.
13. Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments to subordinates. Holds frequent development discussions and is aware of each direct report's career goals.
14. Constructs compelling development plans and executes them. Creates plans that effectively address each employee's learning and developmental goals. Assists direct reports with their long-term career growth.
15. Performs other related duties as required.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Utility maintenance and/or construction experience, knowledge of engineering principals, excellent writing, communication, and analytical skills, supplemented by a Bachelor of Science in Civil or Environmental Engineering or other relevant degree with a minimum of 8 years’ experience with some supervisory experience is preferred. Must be able to understand and utilize various construction materials and methods utilized in the maintenance and construction of water distribution and wastewater collection and knowledge of project management, construction administration and managing and scheduling of resources. Must be proficient in the use of a computer and information technology and possess a valid driver’s license. Licensure as a Professional Engineer by the State of South Carolina is preferred.