Residential Maintenance Technician
- Posted: June 17, 2021
Classification: Residential Maintenance
Supervisor: Lead Residential Maintenance
Department: Housing Operations
Status: Non-Exempt Pay Grade/Range: 10 – Specialist
This position will perform assigned duties related to the maintenance and repair activities within Spartanburg Housing multifamily, senior and public housing communities. Residential Maintenance shall participate in activities related to preventative or unscheduled maintenance, environmental, health and safety, and other special initiatives by performing the essential job functions or other duties as assigned.
All activities must support the Spartanburg Housing mission, strategic goals, and objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following is a listing of the key duties and responsibilities of this position, and the skills, experience and knowledge required for the employee in this position. The list of duties is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities, but a representative listing of the key duties of the position. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. Spartanburg Housing reserves the right to assign work in other areas to equalize or balance the workload, cover absences, or for other business needs of Spartanburg Housing.
- Responds quickly and courteously to resident requests made at the front desk or online for maintenance service, troubleshoot the source difficulty, and take appropriate action to repair and/or restore service efficiently and in a timely manner.
- Practices safety precautions, wear personal protective equipment (PPE) as needed, and be safety conscious at all times.
- Performs required planned and corrective (repair) maintenance to building surfaces, fixtures, systems, and equipment.
- Performs equipment planned maintenance tasks such as: checking for proper equipment operation, lubricating bearings, changing air filters, and cleaning heat exchanger and condenser coils.
- Performs electrical and plumbing system planned maintenance tasks such as: inspecting plumbing fixtures for leaks and repairs; checking drain lines to ensure that they are free of obstruction; checking appliances for proper operation; testing light switches and electrical outlets; and conducting ground fault detection tests.
- Performs such mechanical tasks as repairing and/or replacing space temperature and HVAC equipment controls.
- Performs such carpentry work as: installing windows; replacing/repairing door and window hardware; reglazing windows; handrails; repairing roofs, gutters, and downspouts; replacing floor tiles; and patching plaster walls and ceilings.
- Performs such masonry work as: patching cracked concrete; replacing broken masonry block and ceramic tiles; re-grouting ceramic tile; and sealing concrete and exterior brick walls.
- Performs sheet rock repair tasks as: installing and repairing dry wall; bends and feathers edges to match surrounding surfaces.
- Performs such plumbing task as: replacing faucet washers, seats, stems, spigots, and hardware; resetting commodes; tubs, and sinks; repairing water leaks; replacing and/or repairing flush valves or flush tank hardware; and clearing clogged drains and soil lines.
- Performs miscellaneous maintenance related tasks for a variety of situations as directed by immediate supervisor such as: servicing and/or repairing cleaning equipment; servicing and/or repairing vehicles; and repairing work tools and equipment.
- Performs such painting tasks as: preparing surfaces for painting by patching plaster holes, sanding, scraping, or masking. Performs minor paint jobs.
- Performs necessary manual labor to keep housing projects in a decent, safe, and sanitary condition including picking up trash and debris.
- Utilizes a wide range of powered and non-powered hand tools such as drills, sanders, sewage line cleaners, saws, hammers, pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches, oilers, and volt-ohm-amp meters.
- Operates and makes all installations and repairs in accordance with local, state, and national codes.
- Participates in the emergency stand-by/call back rotation as assigned.
- Assists other maintenance employees as required.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of Spartanburg Housing rules, policies, and safety procedures and knowledge of Spartanburg Housing building facilities and equipment.
- Knowledge of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of the basic principles of building maintenance, including standard practices and methods of electricity, plumbing, and carpentry.
- Knowledge of basic mathematics in order to take accurate measurements and calculate required materials.
- Knowledge and ability to use tools and equipment used in building maintenance.
- Ability to read and understand or interpret directions, instructions, warnings, blueprints, work orders, plans, service manuals and, Spartanburg Housing policies and procedure manuals, or given orally in English.
- Ability to complete work order forms in accordance with established procedures.
- Ability to instruct new employees and helpers in the methods of maintenance and repair.
- Ability to inspect, diagnose problems, and complete repairs in a timely and effective manner.
- Ability to recover refrigerant from refrigerators and air conditioning equipment.
- Ability to operate and drive vehicles and equipment.
- Ability to work in less than ideal conditions (e.g., odors, noise, etc.).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, vendors, consultants, contractors, tenants, HUD, community partners, and local, state, and federal officials; Ability to communicate with people from a broad range of socio-economic backgrounds.
- Ability to coordinate and perform multiple functions simultaneously.
This position requires the incumbent to exhibit the following behavioral skills:
Job Knowledge: Exhibits requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the position effectively. Demonstrates knowledge of policies, procedures, goals, objectives, operational entities, requirements, and activities as they apply to the assigned organizational entity of Spartanburg Housing. Uses appropriate judgment & decision making in accordance with level of responsibility.
Customer Service: Provides timely, courteous, and quality service to all internal or external customers by anticipating individual needs, following through on commitments and ensuring that our customers have been heard.
Communication: Employee is prepared, clear, concise, and organized in all facets of communication in order to fully establish understanding. Actively listens and understands the audience to adapt message appropriately. Communicates information with appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
Teamwork: Actively participates and collaborates across boundaries, and works toward the achievement of common goals. Employee is adaptable and open to new ideas and/or approaches. Employee is aware of changes that impact internal and external customers and effectively communicates the impact when working as a team.
Responsiveness and Accountability: Demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness. Holds oneself personally responsible for one's own work and does fair share of work.
Safety Awareness: Employee is cognizant of his/her surroundings. Follows proper safety procedures and considers the safety of self and others. Identifies, communicates, and assists in the correction of any safety concerns where appropriate.
The employee receives supervision and assignments from the Maintenance and Special Projects Manager or their designee. Courses of action, deadlines and priorities are set by Spartanburg Housing operational needs or Manager depending on the assignment. Routine duties are initiated and completed by the employee without supervisory direction and within established Spartanburg Housing policies, trade and industry standards, and health, safety, and city and state codes and ordinances. Instructions to the employee may be general or specific in nature. Complex problems or situations not covered by instructions are usually referred to the supervisor. The employee’s work is reviewed regularly for accuracy, completion, and compliance with policies and procedures.
Minimum Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or GED, or trade or vocational school certification; with a minimum of three (3) years of experience in skilled trade, building/facility maintenance, or other related experience in a maintenance skilled capacity.
- Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which, in the sole determination of Spartanburg Housing, provides the required knowledge and abilities, may be considered sufficient.
Ability to communicate clearly and...
Real EstateView all jobs at Spartanburg Housing
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?