- Posted: over a month ago
Who We Are
Spark the Journey is a nonprofit organization that provides mentorship and a community of support for young adults to chart their own paths to achieving college and career success. Spark the Journey is continuing Capital Partners for Education’s legacy and is growing into a national community. Today, Spark the Journey supports more than 500 mentees as they enter young adulthood. Spark the Journey’s unique mentorship approach fosters long-lasting relationships between mentors and mentees as young adults choose and pursue the education, career path, or personal goals they want to achieve—with a community of support behind them.
About the Role
The Finance Manager provides oversight and management of all financial functions including; bookkeeping, accounts payable, account reconciling, budget development and tracking, financial reporting, financial operations, and grants finance. This person will assist the organization in maintaining accurate and balanced accounts, reporting on the organization’s financial wellbeing, ensuring internal accountability, and conducting the administrative tasks necessary to run any organization. They will manage Spark the Journey’s financial management systems and processes, including maintaining internal controls, preparing budgets and reports for internal and external purposes, asset management, and supporting the independent audit and annual budget processes.
The Finance Manager reports to the Director of Operations and works closely with the leads of other teams to ensure that all initiatives are informed by Spark the Journey’s financial status. This role is an independent contributor and does not supervise a team.
Financial Reporting and Management
- Facilitate all financial management processes, including the monthly reconciliation process and the annual audit process, in collaboration with the accountants and the audit committee.
- Oversee all of Spark the Journey’s financial accounts. Review each account weekly to ensure financial security and collaborate with Spark the Journey’s accounting firm to resolve any issues.
- Provide a monthly financial report to the Senior Leadership Team for review.
- Manage the annual budgeting timeline and process in collaboration with other team leads.
- Oversee the process for identifying and evaluating opportunities for improved financial operations, recordkeeping, and reporting
- Collaborate with Spark the Journey’s outsourced accountants to provide internal financial reports prior to every board meeting.
- Work directly with Spark the Journey’s accountants and the Director of Operations to review payroll each month and manage expense tracking and implementation for staff (e.g. leave, reimbursements).
- Work with the Development team to support grant restrictions management in Salesforce. Provide recommendations on how to navigate grant restrictions within systems.
- Provide accurate and detailed financial modeling to support the strategic planning process.
- Work with external auditors to prepare and review audit schedules and annual report of audit findings
- Responsible for updating Spark the Journey’s financial management to internal and external stakeholders, as needed
- Implement and revise processes to ensure that Spark the Journey financial transactions are processed accurately, timely, and in accordance with organizational policies.
- Support the gift processing process: scan all checks received, complete deposits, and work with the Development team and the Database Administrator to record all gifts.
- Manage all insurance accounts and keep leadership abreast of any rate changes and renewals.
- Manage vendor relationships: settle monthly invoices, monitor accounts payable and accounts receivable, and work with Spark the Journey staff to establish new vendor relationships when current vendors no longer serve Spark’s needs.
- Check and process Spark the Journey’s office mail and packages. Scan checks, invoices, bills, and all other important documents to relevant departments.
- Manage contract with leased space property owner/s.
- Support HR (Human Resources) & Operations administrative duties as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in accounting or finance.
- At least four – eight years of finance management experience.
- At least one (1) year of nonprofit finance management experience preferred.
- Experience working with, and reporting from modern accounting and database management systems (e.g. QuickBooks, Salesforce).
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience implementing innovative and creative solutions to common financial management processes.
- Display reliability, trustworthiness, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- The ability to explain financial management approaches and processes clearly, efficiently, and in layperson’s terms.
- Display a collaborative attitude and demonstrate respect and empathy for people and community.
- Must embrace the mission of Spark the Journey.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to legally work in the United States without sponsorship.
How You Will Be Compensated
The starting salary range for this position is $70,000 - $80,000 annually, corresponding to your experience and skills. If you receive an offer, it may be anywhere within this range depending on the skills and knowledge brought to the role.
To counter pay inequality and uphold internal parity, Spark the Journey uses a non-negotiable salary system. Our goal is to offer a competitive salary that also meets our equity guidelines. Rather than negotiating, we offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance with Flexible Spending Account options, effective the first day of the month following employment
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer matching of 3%
- Life and disability insurance with premiums fully funded by Spark the Journey
- 15 days of paid vacation in each of the first two years; 20 days in subsequent years
- Office closed on national and state holidays and between December 24-January 1
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Spark the Journey is currently operating on a 100% remote work policy. However, as this role is responsible for occasional in-person tasks (e.g., checking and processing Spark's mail), the person in this role will be expected to reside in the Washington, D.C. metro area.
Spark the Journey
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at Spark the Journey