Spago, Maui Kīhei, HI
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
We are looking for an experienced Pastry Chef to join the Spago Maui team! Your skill in baking high quality treats should be matched by your creativity to develop new amazing tastes and recipes. The ideal candidate will be well-versed in culinary arts with a passion for sweet and delicious creations.
The Pastry Chef is responsible for supervising the Pastry Department and demonstrates strong leadership qualities with attention to detail. The Pastry Chef is accountable for the quality and consistency of all pastry products produced and served including the efficiencies, consistency, associate training and accountability of costs associated with the pastry department.
Essential Job Functions:
• Prepare a wide variety of goods such as cakes, cookies, pies, bread etc. following traditional and modern recipes
• Works directly with Executive Chef on the creation, development and implementation of new desserts and creative menu development of the restaurant
• Supervises the preparation and production of all baked goods
• Prepares specialty baked goods for in-house and catered events
• Inspect the quality of the ingredients and measure them for specific recipes
• Pair recommended desserts with appropriate wines, cocktails, non-alcoholic drinks etc.
• Records inventory of supplies and orders stock from main storeroom; estimates daily and weekly requirements and replenishes items as appropriate.
• Check quality of material and condition of equipment and devices used for cooking
• Analyzes food costs and determines most cost-effective recipes while maintaining quality
• Identify staffing needs and help recruit and train personnel
• Provides training and guidance to pastry staff performing related work
• Ensure kitchen equipment is in good condition and meets all requirements
• Directs and/or arranges for the maintenance and care of departmental facilities, equipment, supplies, and materials in a manner which promotes efficiency, health, and safety
• Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervises day-to-day activities; provides a “Hands On” approach to training, planning, assigning and delegating work. Encourages elevated performance, leads by example, and disciplines employees for the purpose of improving the Pastry Departments standards of excellence.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: High School Diploma; Associate’s Degree preferred
• Minimum 3 years prior experience as a Pastry Chef
• Minimum 2 years of fine dining food service experience
• In depth knowledge of sanitation principles, food preparation and baking techniques and nutrition
• Working knowledge of baking with ingredient limitations (gluten free, sugarless etc.)
• Must be able to perform in fast paced environment
• Precise eye for detail
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
• Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
• Ability to understand complex instructions and material
• Ability to prepare and bake a variety of pastries, rolls and/or other baked goods.
• Ability to supervise and train assigned staff.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and works well in environment with time constraints
• Ability to analyze supplies costs and develop cost-effective procedures.
• Ability to prepare routine administrative paperwork.
• Knowledge of maintenance and care of culinary facilities, equipment, supplies, and materials.
• Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
• Knowledge of food preparation and presentation methods, techniques, and quality standards.
Work Conditions: May require evening and weekend hours. While performing the duties of this job, the employee generally works in an indoor kitchen environment with exposure to heat from ovens, hot foods and steamers and cleaning chemicals, fumes, equipment, and metal objects. Employees also work around knives, dicers, mixers, slicers and other sharp objects. Work surfaces may be slippery. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but may be loud dependent on specific work site and/or equipment operation. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive; it is intended to identify major responsibilities and requirements of the job. The employee in this position may be requested to perform other job-related tasks and responsibilities than those stated above.
Wolfgang Puck Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
In compliance with the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988, Wolfgang Puck Group is a drug-free workplace.