Southworth Products Corp. located in Falmouth, Maine is the leading manufacturer of vertical work positioning products designed to make work faster, safer and easier.
- Engineer and design new products and/or modifications to existing products from a set of written specifications and following established professional practices and procedures for design engineering.
- Establish and maintain company mechanical and hydraulic design standards and policies.
- Control product costs through design considerations for lowest cost materials and DFM approaches.
- Perform complex design calculations to insure proper function and safety of specialized machinery.
- Assist Sales by providing technical expertise, including direct customer contact, as required.
- Provide Quality and customer service support, as applicable; including site visits to evaluate and resolve problems.
- Support Manufacturing with issues on the floor during assembly and timely completion of ECRs.
- Support Purchasing with issues regarding part obsolescence and annual cost reduction initiatives.
- Perform inspection and testing on manufactured machines as part of product development or analysis, as well as failure analysis.
- Ensure design compliance to applicable specifications, codes, and established safety requirements.
- Able to optimize use of CAD to minimize errors and interferences in design, and to control costs.
- Provide consulting support to others within the design engineering group to ensure efficient utilization of the existing design base.
- Participate regularly in process improvement projects.
- Perform other duties and complete other projects as may be assigned or requested.
Necessary Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- 3+ years of 3D CADD/modeling, Solidworks preferred.
- Experience drafting parts and assemblies using industry standard techniques and GD&T.
- Thorough understanding of Statics, Dynamics, Strength of Materials, and Machine design.
- Thorough knowledge of hydraulic and pneumatic power systems.
- Thorough knowledge of fabricated steel weldments.
- Experience using FEA to evaluate design integrity.
- Able to work effectively and accurately against deadlines and time constraints.
- Ability to describe technical concepts to non-technical people.
- Ability to communicate openly and effectively with different personality types.
- Creative problem solving skills with regards to machine design.
- Continuous process improvement (Lean Six Sigma).
- Ability to manage and balance time effectively amongst design and process improvement projects.
- Windows and CAD management system (EPDM) proficiency.
- Experience with electrical controls and power.
- Ability to read electrical wiring diagrams and schematics.
- Design for Manufacturability experience.
- Accurate, analytical, adaptable, self-confident, written communication, multi-tasking, and relationship building.
- Must be able to sit or stand and focus for large periods of time.
- Yes – occasional travel to our factories or to customer’s sites may be required.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
- Exempt. >40 hours. The business is cyclical and working hours are expected to fluctuate based on demand.
We offer a dynamic workplace, competitive wages and benefits package with opportunities for career growth. We are an equal opportunity employer.