This internship offers practical, hands-on experience with the daily operational accounting processes – as well as ground-level exposure to the monthly close and financial reporting cycle – for a midsized distribution business. This is a 10 to 12 week paid internship.
Specific areas that the intern will be involved in over the course of the internship include:
- Invoicing and accounts receivable – processing customer invoices in accordance with the terms of the specific project contract or purchase order.
- Costing and accounts payable – reconciling and posting vendor invoices against project job costing.
- Cash management – cash receipts posting and deposit processing; cash forecasting and disbursement management.
- Payroll processing – observe and assist in processing semi-monthly payroll for hourly, salaried and commissioned employees, as well as filing and payment of all taxes and reconciliation of health insurance premiums and deductions.
- Month-end reconciliations – bank accounts and other select balance sheet accounts.
- Contract accounting – produce and analyze open contracts schedule to adjust for Deferred/Unbilled revenue and calculate firm backlog.
- Banking – preparation of borrowing base report and debt covenant compliance schedules
- Financial Reporting – a compilation of monthly financial statements and operating analysis for circulation to Executive Officers.
- Completed intermediate accounting would be preferred
- Entering junior or senior year
- Attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to quickly learn and master new processes
- Eagerness to learn
- Positive attitude