System Operator (Electric Distribution Utility)
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Are you looking for an opportunity with the ability to grow and advance based on your efforts? Are you looking for a career rather than a job, a place you can call home until retirement? We are seeking a System Operator to join our Operations team, but we aren't looking for just anyone - we're looking for someone who wants to make a difference in their community. If you're available and willing to work any schedule which will include rotating shifts, nights, weekends, and holidays - we invite you to keep reading to learn more.
We believe that the best ideas can come from anywhere - even our newest employees. When we are working towards the same goal, the quality of the solution will always outweigh the source. Ask questions, share answers, and challenge expectations. It's not about what you can accomplish individually, it's about impacting what we can accomplish together.
Our System Operators are a critical resource for our members and our operations team. As the first point-of-contact for members or employees in stressful situations, your ability to offer a calming, compassionate response and guidance is key.
What will you do if you're hired?
- Coordinate outage restoration activities including crew dispatch and the operation of the Cooperative's transmission and distribution systems.
- Provide for the security and custodianship of the Cooperative's property, electrical equipment, and facilities during hours that the Cooperative is closed.
- Create switching plans for scheduled work.
- Generate reports as directed.
- Receive calls from field crew and our members and determine what actions to take.
- Review, submit, and follow up on property damage insurance claims.
- Prepare outage summary information as requested by members and the Virginia State Corporation Commission.
- Monitor surveillance cameras and alarm systems and report any abnormal activities to the supervisor(s) and proper authorities.
If this is all new to you, you'll start on-the-job training right away. Don't worry, we'll provide formal training too through a three-year apprenticeship program, but in the meantime, your teammates are going to start showing you the ropes and helping you get acclimated to the environment. Once we know you're ready, you'll be performing the tasks above too!
Our ideal candidate answers "yes" to the following questions:
- Are you able to define the word hustle and apply it in a work setting?
- Are you self-motivated?
- Are you noted for your willingness to take initiative without prompting?
- Are you unfailingly dependable? (We give much because we expect much. If you're constantly giving your employer reasons or excuses why you didn't complete your task or show up to work, read no further, you aren't a match for us.)
- Are you proficient with Microsoft Excel?
- Do you possess solid data entry skills? (If you routinely say you're not a computer person, this isn't going to be a fit.)
- Do you read and understand maps?
- Have you earned your High School diploma or GED?
- Do you have the ability and patience to troubleshoot whatever problem is set before you?
- Do you prefer to be inside in a climate-controlled environment?
- Are you comfortable sitting for twelve hours viewing large monitors? (We've invested in the best chairs, but you have the freedom to get up and move around in the Operations Center.)
- Do you reside within 60 minutes legal driving time of our headquarters office in Crewe, VA. Or, are you willing to locate to this area? (Trust us, when it's storm time, you'll want to be as close as possible.)
The right aptitude and attitude are considered as important as experience. The right aptitude means you're good at detail and learning quickly, and the right attitude means you work well with colleagues and our member-owners.
Direct experience of these systems is definitely a plus, but if you're eager and enthusiastic about learning, we will train you:
- SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition)
- OMS (Outage Management System)
- GIS (Geographic Information System)
- NISC CIS (National Information Solutions Cooperative Customer Information System)
- Two-way radio and telephone communications
Veterans with the following MOS are encouraged to apply: 12P, 12Q, 91D, 14J, 14L, 3E012, 3E032, 3E052, 3E072, 3E0X2.
Candidates with an associate degree in Electronics Technology, Engineering, or other related technical or applicable discipline or knowledge of substation, transmission, and distribution systems and equipment will receive priority consideration.
SEC offers an unrivaled compensation and benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, and life insurance, HSA, 401(k), retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Work overtime, nights, evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Work is performed in a 24/7 operations center environment, confined to immediate work area, and requires continuous staffing.
- Work may involve sensitive contact with members and employees via telephone, who are in crisis.
Because you love your work and have a passion to serve your community, you are willing to work longer shifts when needed, knowing the very vital contribution you make to restoring electric service to our neighbors.
In addition to the schedule, this can be a mentally demanding job. You must be able to:
- deal with adversarial confrontations;
- work in isolation in an enclosed environment for extended periods of time (there are no windows in the Operations Center and often no one else working with you);
- remain calm in the face of outages caused by events that are disastrous or merely inconvenient;
- concentrate and prioritize multiple tasks at once. Conscious attention to detail is required to safely perform tasks.
What else makes you a successful candidate? You have read this job posting in its entirety. It means that you understand that whether you follow the instructions provided to you for applying to the position is probably our first indicator of what type of employee you will be and will weigh heavily on our selection.
In addition to the online application, a current resume AND a separate cover letter are REQUIRED. Your cover letter should include, in your own words, why you are interested in this specific position and why you believe that you are an excellent candidate for consideration. All completed applications, resumes, and cover letters must be received by 12:00 p.m. Eastern time on Friday January 21, 2022.
Documents to establish identity and employment eligibility are required. Offers of employment are conditional upon a negative alcohol and controlled substance test. All SEC employees are subject to random alcohol and drug tests throughout the year.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
WE ARE PROUD TO BE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Southside Electric Cooperative
Energy and EnvironmentView all jobs at Southside Electric Cooperative