ENERGY FOR WHAT'S AHEAD
Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We're working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
About Transmission and Distribution
Southern California Edison's (SCE's) Transmission and Distribution Organizational Unit (T & D) is responsible for planning, engineering, constructing, operating, and maintaining transmission and distribution facilities throughout the 50,000-square-mile territory. T&D is the steward of roughly $19 billion in assets that safely and reliably deliver electricity to 15 million residents via SCE's 5 million customer accounts.
This Lead Power System Operator position will be part of the Grid Operations Capital Integration organization located at the Grid Control Center within Southern California Edison's (SCE's) Transmission and Distribution Organizational Unit (T & D). The Capital Integration organization supports Capital construction projects throughout the SCE territory. This position will provide strategic direction in addressing system reliability problems and include operating requirements prior to implementation of capital projects. This position will attend all pre-engineering job walks to identify and provide operating requirements and ensure all operating concerns are addressed by other departments. This position will work with many organizations within SCE including Engineering, MPO, SC&M management, Local Switching Centers, Transmission, and Telecommunications to develop a plan (Move program) that outlines the construction activities for assigned Capital projects. This position will also interface with outside organizations such as CISO, Customer connecting load or generation onto the SCE system. Thus, this position will require an individual to be able to communicate well between different parties that have competing priorities and come up with solutions that all parties can agree to. This position will primarily work on transmission related projects on the bulk power system. This position will interface with external customers, generating interconnections, neighboring utilities and SCE grid contracts that will require resolutions to changing priorities and to resolve technical issues with customers.
- Coordinate and assist with capital projects and develop "Move" programs to coordinate outages prior to energizing equipment as well as coordinate outages between competing projects.
- Coordinates Capital projects and provides consulting to address system problems which may cross organizational boundaries which require a thorough operational knowledge to resolve.
- Partner with SC&M Test Managers and Grid Operations Managers in developing a strategic short term and long term solution to operating challenges of substations.
- Interface with Protection Engineering in developing protection requirements for Capital Projects to address operating issues.
- Focus on short and long term needs of Grid Operations of all Capital projects and improve consistency of an area as to the operational needs.
- Work with customers that are being interconnected to the SCE system to ensure that their equipment is energized in a safe and reliable manner and does not jeopardize the SCE system or load.
- Update the system operating bulletins, work with power system control to ensure that the EMS computer screens (operating consoles) are updated, and update Grid Control Center one-line diagrams as needed to reflect the changes to the Grid caused by the Capital project.
- Attend pre-engineering job walks and work with engineering in developing work scope on a Capital project and provide an operational insight as to the operating requirements and the best time to obtain the outages necessary for the projects.
- Meet with operations, SC&M personnel and ensure all required work has been completed prior to energizing equipment.
- Maintain a safety conscious work environment by following Edison safety protocols and safe work practices.
- This position job duties will typically related to transmission system projects (550kV to 220kV) or complex substation projects.
- Six years or more experience with bulk power transmission and sub-transmission systems.
- Ten years of combined experience in electric system operations or electrical engineering, Test Technician, Test Technical Specialist and or journeymen electrician.
- Two years of experience with bulk electric system relay protection schemes.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or related technical field.
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation of Capital Projects.
- Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
- This job may require extensive amount of traveling throughout SCE's territory.
- This position has been identified as a NERC/CIP impacted position - Prior to being hired, the successful candidate must pass a Personnel Risk Assessment (PRA) or Background Investigation. Once hired, the candidate must complete specified training prior to gaining un-escorted access to assigned work location and performing necessary job duties.
SCE is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.