Behavioral Health Technician
Nursing - Other
Emergency Department Part-Time
Shift: VariableThe Behavioral Health Technician under the supervision of the registered nurse, will assist in the individualized care of the patient directed toward achieving the patients' highest level of physical and mental wellness. Shall be familiar with the implementation aspect of the modified team nursing process. Shall demonstrate the ability to function in the following areas: team member role, communication skills, adaptable to changing work schedules and patient needs, competency in designated roles as outlined by specific unit standards, and policies.?Begin:
- Honor the value of team and work in concert with others to create a personal experience for every patient or customer
- Honor and respect the diverse nature, beliefs, values and lifestyles of patients, families and colleagues
- Documents information in the electronic medical record (EMR)
- Assists in implementation of patient's plan of care, ensuring a safe patient environment
- Transport patient to and from other departments and upon admission
- Successful completion of unit specific competency testing
- Interpret fatal cardiac rhythms as evidenced by successful completion of organization's arrhythmia classes
- Will be expected to perform duties within their scope of practice, to include but not limited to the following:
- Obtaining and documenting vital signs per department policy
- Hourly rounding
- Stocking of supplies in patient care rooms
- Turnover of rooms to include cleaning, changing linens and removing trash after each patient encounter
- Application of oxygen as directed by nurse and/or licensed independent provider
- The following have been approved for the role once training is complete and competency (if indicated) demonstrated:
- Specimen collection to include: culture swabs and clean catch urine
- Phlebotomy: venous blood draws and blood cultures
- MRSA swabs
- 12-lead EKGs - lead placement and printing
- Foley Catheter Insertion and urine specimen collection
- Splinting, wound care and dressings
- Finger stick blood sugar
- Will be responsible for:
- Monitoring assigned patients behavior and actions reporting any changes or escalation in behavior to the primary RN and/or Charge RN
- Documenting as directed every 15 minutes or other time intervals as required. This may include specialized monitoring for a patient on a 1:1 or who is in restraints or seclusion
- Providing safe, effective and efficient implementation of psychiatric care to patients in accordance with policies and procedures
- Completing hourly or more frequent rounding on assigned patients, documenting per policy
- Obtaining and documenting vital signs on assigned patients per policy
- Observing, recording and reporting patient's social, psychiatric, and physical behavior to the RN and/or Charge RN
- Completing physician orders to include but not limited to: collection of lab specimens, EKGs and transport to testing
- Completing intake process, including collection of belongings, search, and assisting patient into appropriate gown/scrubs
- Performs other duties as assigned
- A high school degree or equivalent is a minimum requirement
- Minimum 6 months experience working in a mental health setting.
- Specialized or vocational courses as CNA is preferred.
- Validated completion of nursing fundamentals course (or its equivalent) preferred.
- State licensure as an EMT preferred
- Completion of one to two years of college undergraduate studies in Psychology or mental health related field preferred.
- Must have excellent oral and written skills, caring attitude, and assumption of responsibility.
- Must be able to deal appropriately with stressful situations. Working as part of a team is essential. Has regular contact with medical and nursing staff and significant contacts with patients and families.
- Basic computer keyboarding required.
- BLS certification required within first 3 months of employment
- Successfully complete STARR certification within 6 months of employment
- Successfully complete fatal arrhythmia training and testing provided for ED Unit Techs by SoutheastHEALTH within 3 months of employment
- Must successfully complete orientation requirments of SoutheastHEALTH
- Must be able to read, write and speak English