Pharmacy Technician, PRN
Southeast Mississippi Rural Health Initiative Inc Hattiesburg, MS
- Posted: over a month ago
- Per Diem
Preforms duties assigned by a licensed pharmacist to assist with the preparation, gathering, labeling and distribution of medications. The Pharmacy Technician is responsible for ensuring that they adheres to all applicable state and federal laws when filling and/or selling prescriptions. This individual will serve as a member of a service conscious Pharmacy team that consistently builds relationships with customers of all ages, cultures, and religions by exceeding their expectations and providing safe, accurate and efficient care.
- Ensures confidentiality by abiding by applicable laws, regulations, and SeMRHI policies when working with Protected Health Information
- Respects the customer's privacy, dignity, and cultural beliefs in all interactions
- Maintains composure under pressure while displaying ownership in addressing customer issues
- Uses critical thinking skills in order to determine if the customer's concern can be resolved at the pharmacy technician level, or if it must be escalated to the Pharmacist for resolution
- Knowledgeable in drug indications and brand/generic equivalencies
- Assists Pharmacist in filling prescriptions and updating patient profiles in system underdirect Pharmacist's supervision
- Receives refill requests from patients and obtains authorization for refills fromphysician's offices
- Access, input, and retrieve information on pharmacy computer system in order tomaintain accurate records and create prescription labels that including the following:dosage instructions, any special directions as indicated by the physician or drug manufacturer, name of drug, and quantity as required by abbreviated or symbolized information written on physicians' orders.
- Prepares prescription requests by ensuring that all medications are accurately counted and measured
- Verifies patient and prescription information before selling medications to customers
- Performs timely electronic transactions to price prescriptions, process payments, generate receipts, and file insurance claims
- Responsible for the following financial activities: balancing the cash box each afternoon, completing the end of day reports, reconciling the checking deposit slip with the daily activity report
- Receive and store incoming prescription drugs and supplies according to storage and security standards, verify quantities against invoices, check for outdated medications in current inventory, update inventory records in the computer system, and inform supervisors of stock needs and shortages.
- Daily site maintenance activities consist of cleaning and maintaining automated prescription processing equipment, cleaning and organizing the employee's work area, and frequently checking the lobby area for cleanliness.
- Builds a positive team atmosphere by, showing initiative, developing mutually beneficial working relationships with peers, making significant on-going contributions to achieve organizational goals, and objectively evaluating feedback from others.
- Assists with the orientation and training of other employees
- Performs all other duties, as assigned
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule by arriving early and/or working late
Education / Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Registration and state certification is required
- National certification is preferred
- Minimum of 1 year of experience as a pharmacy technician in a section 195 pharmacy
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications
- Knowledge of laws, legal coeds, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency roles, and the democratic political process.
- Skill in active listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Skill in Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Skill in Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Skill in Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do
- The ability to listen, read, and comprehend information and ideas presented in speech and writing.
- The ability to identify and understand the speech of another person.
- The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand
- The ability to multi-task while managing multiple priorities
Physical and Other Requirements:
- Must continuously listen, visualize, have dexterity and eye-hand coordination
- Ability for simple grasping, speed work
- Must frequently stand, squat, reach, use both right and left forearm rotation and walk
- Must occasionally kneel, twist, have the ability to grasp firmly, lift and carry, push and pull in excess of 10 lbs.
Ability to perform repetitive tasks with attention to detail within specified time periods