JOB OVERVIEW: Works to facilitate patient flow and ensure an accurate and complete medical record for each patient. This medical scribe will work specifically with a orthopedic hand surgeon. This surgeon has an extremely busy clinic and requires an individual who can provide accurate and thorough documentation at an extremely rapid pace.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
1. Accompany physician into the patient examination room in order to transcribe a history and physical exam, and document accurately the physician’s encounter with the patient and others present.
2. List all proper diagnoses and symptoms as well as follow up instructions and prescriptions as dictated by the physician.
3. Transcribe patient orders including laboratory tests, radiology tests, medications, etc.
4. Document any procedures performed by the physician.
1. Maintain professional appearance and conduct at all times.
2. Adhere to employer work practices.
3. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with physicians, staff and managements.
4. Effectively cope with typical job stress.
5. Document work processes as required.
6. Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: Education: High school diploma or equivalent. Certification/Licensure: Not required.
Experience: One of the following:
1. 6 months experience as a medical Scribe
2. 6 months related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
1. Medical terminology.
2. Recognition of physical exam process and ability to record exam details.
3. Computer proficiency and ability to quickly learn new applications.
4. Legible handwriting and ability to accurately record information.
5. Organizational skills with focus on tracking patient care and improving patient flow.
6. Professional demeanor and recognition of privacy considerations for patients and families.
1. Ability to multi task efficiently and effectively.
2. Must be able to act calmly and effectively in a busy or stressful situation.
3. Ability to communicate effectively in the English language in person, by phone and in writing.
4. Requires adherence to all policies and procedures, including but not limited to standards for safety, attendance, punctuality and personal appearance.
5. Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with managers and peers.
Hearing: Adequate to perform job duties in person and over the telephone.
Speaking: Must be able to communicate clearly to patients in person and over the telephone.
Vision: Visual acuity adequate to perform job duties, including reading information from printed sources and computer screens.
Other: Requires occasional lifting and carrying items weighing up to 15 pounds unassisted.
Requires frequent bending, reaching, and repetitive hand movements (specifically keyboarding and writing), standing, walking, squatting and sitting, with some lifting, pushing and pulling exerted regularly throughout a regular work shift.
The above is intended to describe the general content and requirements for the performance for this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. I have read the Medical Scribe job description and understand the functions and objectives of the medical scribe position for South Shore Orthopedics.